Lost lamb in this world of routines. Please HALP!

Hello folks, I am M22, 68 kgs/150 lbs., 175 cm. Working out (consistently at least), for me, has always been that one boss level that makes one quit the game entirely. I don't consider myself weak-willed in terms of exercise: used to play tennis all my teenage life, had considerable endurance and an average body strength that helped me complete a minimum of 20 push-ups. After school, my drop year dropped on me a whole new AMRAP set of problems and I fell prey to some (bitch ass) coping mechanisms (smoking, excessive drinking and general indolence). Since the laws of human anatomy dictate 'use it or lose it', I did the latter, whatever basic upper, lower and core strength I had pocketed.

Currently: I can't push past the ceiling of 8-9 pushups, barely 10 crunches and 12 minutes of medium-pace jogging.

I've been off the nicotine for the past month or so and started to squeeze in some ambition in the work week that being a dental student employs so, I've joined a gym for a month, but looking at the past week, I'm having serious doubts about whether I'm going to extend at all. I used one of r/Fitness 's beginner routines to kick off my journey of strength training but was quickly shunned by the gym's kind-of-sucks-at-his-job trainer on the grounds that I don't know basic forms and positions (such as that of a squat), which is true - I don't. His recommendation - start with basic bodyweight training and only after reaching a certain cutoff of reps in that department should I bother with strength training.

I am at an absolute loss in terms of direction. Do I a) start a bodyweight regimen b) stick to the aforementioned program or c) give the r/Fitness PPL program a shot because it looks more extensive and my panicky ass needs something heavy to shut me down? Because after 4 years of reading article upon article about gym-going, I have failed to successfully indulge in the activity for more than a week every time I sign up.

Sorry about this dump of words which could've been much more compact but I would appreciate the frick out of any and all guidance one could give me. God bless you and your knowledge. Cheers.

@allwhoarethirsty
the gym's kind-of-sucks-at-his-job trainer on the grounds that I don't know basic forms and positions (such as that of a squat), which is true - I don't. His recommendation - start with basic bodyweight training and only after reaching a certain cutoff of reps in that department should I bother with strength training.

I would be not taking that advice.

What lifts are you having trouble with?

@allwhoarethirsty B. Stick to a regiment for at least 90 days before changing. You might just not have found a workout that is fun and fulfilling for you. If you’d like a suggestion, look up 5 by 5 workouts. Good for beginners and strength training. Let me know if you need more info.