Lower/Upper/Off/Lower/Push/Pull/Off program based off of Helms' template

brendan3248

I built this split off of Helms' intermediate template in his book along with several studies with volume recommendations from Schoenfeld, McDonald and Wernbom.

Progression would be just simple double progression currently. Deloads every 4-6 weeks or so. I am in a surplus after a long time in a deficit, so the weights should be increasing steadily. I have a medical condition which requires me to lift in the higher rep range with a little bit less intensity and I have been suggested not to deadlift or squat due to it as well.

Here is the layout:

It would be ran as Lower/Upper/Off/Lower/Push/Pull/Off.

Thanks for any suggestions or input!

@brendan3248 Looks well put together, and balanced. I like that you have some unilateral exercises for the biggest muscles groups, I think it is one of the factors that have kept my injury free in the long run.

I would choose a percentage based approach to the main lifts (leg press, dumbbell RDL, dumbbell bench press and incline bench press). This is probably more of a personal preference, since I like to have a more tangible goal to hit every meso-cycle. If you progress fine on double progression just stick with it.

@brendan3248 I like the balance of barbell movements and dumbbells. Only suggestion I have is maybe add in more unilateral work on your second lower, push and pull days. This is something very similar to what I've done based off of his guidelines in the book.

I think, if you're going off of his ideology, it's also important to mentally commit yourself to your chosen horizontal and vertical press and pulls, hip hinge, and squat. It's helped me to be able to say "I want to focus on the front squat, dumbbell bench, one arm DB press, conventional deadlift, chest supported row, and pullups" don't forget you want to maximize gains on the "Big 6".