Lyle McDonald generic bulking routine modification because of fatigue and squat shoes

fishmansf

I’d like to change the Lyle McDonald generic bulking routine from upper-lower to push lower/ pull upper and pull lower/ push upper because on lower days i feel fatigued after rdls and i feel like I’m doing some volume that could have better quality on the leg press and good mornings (can’t do leg curls because they hurt my knee), while on the other hand upper body days feel super easy. Another factor is because i use squat shoes for leg press and squats and they feel a bit uncomfortable gor rdls and good mornings.
The routine would look like this:
Day a)
Squats 4 sets 6-8 reps

Seal rows 4 sets 6-8 reps

Leg press 4 sets 10-12 reps

Pull-ups 4 sets 10-12 reps

Day b)

Rdls 4 sets 6-8 reps

Bench press 4 sets 6-8 reps

Good mornings 4 sets 10-12 reps

Incline bench 4 sets 10-12 reps
Day c)

Same as day a

Day d)

same as day b

@fishmansf I'm not familiar with Lyles routine but my general advice when tweaking routines is do what you want, make changes where you want BUT be honest with yourself about why you're making changes.

Am I reading correctly that you're changing the routine because rdls are uncomfortable in squat shoes? This is an example of not being honest about why you're making changes. Take the damn shoes off.

@itzelmetal Disagree on the shoes being an excuse. He's not dropping the "uncomfortable" exercises - he's just moving them to a different day. That's not making an excuse, it's making a practical change to facilitate your training.

@itzelmetal My main issue is fatigue after squats and rdls ( with or without squat shoes), bringing one type of shoe to the gym seems nice to me and rdls and good mornings feel slightly better.

@fishmansf I wouldn’t use squat shoes for anything except quad work, they’ll pitch you forward for RDLs and good mornings and that’ll just throw everything off for the movement and probably accounts for some of the fatigue.

As for the program I’d say it seems like you’re lacking any direct shoulder work which I’d encourage at least something but other than that it looks fine for someone who’s only been training for like 1-3 years.

@fishmansf Nice, you’ll probably find as you progress your training will have to become more complex as the stimulus you need to progress (and therefore the fatigue you accumulate) increases. I’d recommend to start learning about periodization and fatigue management so when the time comes to start implementing those things you can. Here’s something you can read to learn then basic concepts: There is only one type of periodization

Back