Why you should pay attention to your Menstrual Cycle as a woman - A breakdown of "The Women's Book Vol 1" by Lyle Mcdonald /w Eric Helms

@great_depression I have such a huge list of topics I would love to discuss. But the sheer lack of rigorous scientific study on women, health, and performance continues to amaze me. I regret going into my field of study just because it angers me so much.

One thing I have noticed about myself is that I can lift a way higher max% at higher rpe than my boyfriend can. I'm not sure if this is just a difference between me and him, or something a bit more prevalent. I haven't spent a ton of time looking into it in the literature, it's just something I have observed.

@roger5599
One thing I have noticed about myself is that I can lift a way higher max% at higher rpe than my boyfriend can.

This is a you versus your boyfriend thing as gender based differences in who hits bigger %max have been bouncing around for a few years with women typically doing worse than men at hitting very high %max and men doing worse than women at doing a given %max for a multiple reps. Look around the strongerbyscience website and couple fitness reddit threads for links and etc.

@guanacodude Mine comes when it wants to come, not at any time in particular and is so short and painless thanks to the strong birth control that I'm on that I really don't need to pay it any mind at all.

@great_depression I'm going to have to get this book now, b/c as a woman who just turned 40 I feel like my phases have gotten extreme in the last few years. In particular, I have sensitivity to weight training in the late luteal phase. I feel joint pain and fatigue during that week (which I definitely didn't experience at 35/36).

I've been considering doing only yoga and/or cardio during the late luteal phase since I'm prone to injury and also just extremely sore and fatigued. I could honestly sleep 14 hours a night and still be tired. As soon as my period starts, I'm in with full energy and getting PRs, but gosh that pre-period week is killer.

This information, reinforces the idea that maybe I should be cycling my workouts with my cycle.

@linamali same, 39 now and those 10 days before period are insane. if i even do some squats in the AM my blood sugar never recovers for that whole day no matter what i eat and i’m tired and HANGRY. the rest of the month everything is normal! so weird. i know this thread is super old i’m just wondering if anything has changed for you in the last 3 years.

@sandiegopilot I’m still having the same experience and had just been dealing with it by taking a deload or lighter week in combination with eating less strict. I did find I could up my calories that week and not gain weight at all.

However just this past month I switched bc pills. I’m hoping they will help. My doctor didn’t think my symptoms were normal and will see if this helps. I was having other perimenopause symptoms as well like anxiety in the last year.

@linamali thank you, that is so reassuring to hear other people experiencing the same. if you don’t mind me asking, what kind of BC did you try? i’m considering going on the lowest possible estrogen pill because i was on it for a few years and did really well but that was a decade ago.

i also basically live with panic attacks for a couple of years now, deep breathing and self talk works well for me. it’s pretty common i believe in perimenopause, as you said. fun!