Making a fitness plan for life

purdella

I just turned 40(f) and I'm trying to create a realistic fitness plan that can last me into my 80s. Something that will have major positive support as I age and but that I can return to fairly quickly if I'm injured or ill.

I wonder if any of you all have something similar and if there's anything missing from mine. Right now it's;
  1. 20 minutes of rowing every day 2. 5 minutes of jumping rope (in whatever configuration gets me to 5 minutes) every other day 3. Simple upper and lower body weight training every other day 4. Daily multivitamin and creatine 5. Balance board for one minute every day 6. Stretch every morning 7. Never stop learning

@purdella
  1. Walking is hard to beat for longevity. Try to get at least 8k steps per day, ideally more. IMO this should be number one priority.
  2. Resistance training and high protein diet to build/retain muscle and improve bone density. Mitigate sarcopenia and risk of falling, and keep a high quality of life by being able to navigate the world and do things. Doing as much as I can now to build, but plan to keep lifting as long as possible to maintain in aging.
  3. Cardio for heart health. I like cycling. They say 150 minutes per week maximizes longevity benefits.
  4. Yoga, stretching, or mobility work as needed. I only do it when I feel like I need it, which tends to be a couple days a week.

@carlagrimes Those are all great. Great job!

Thank you. I've been working on adding in protein but it's not where it should be yet. And I've been talking with my husband about putting small rings in a doorway in the basement so we can do resistance work. I'm doing about 120 minutes of cardio a week so I need to increase it a bit, but I'm almost there.

Hopefully we can have, if not more lifespan, than more healthspan than the generations before us.

tangentially related: my parents' health issues have really been freaking me out lately. Both of my parents have the attitude of "whatever happens is meant to happen" and have never prioritized their health. They're both on bp and cholesterol medicine and have been for decades, they both need hearing aids, and my mom is already struggling with her balance at 62 and my dad is now prediabetic and they found clogging in his arteries. My sister, who is in her mid 30s was just diagnosed with prediabetes, and high blood pressure. I know health doesn't determine the value of a life but I don't want to be hanging on by the grace of modern medicine if I don't have to be!

@purdella I'm sorry to hear that. For what it's worth, I was stage 2 pre hypertension and also nearing on prediabetes at age 30. Getting into shape reversed both of those to a normal range for me. My parents have both improved their health significantly in their 70s too. It's never too late to get at least a little bit healthier.

@ineedjusus216 As far as I'm aware it is the same from a physical wellness perspective. There may be some mental benefits to being outside, but any walking is good and I use a treadmill or walking pad if it's not pleasant outdoors.

@carlagrimes I've been told that walking outdoors is better for your knees because the treadmill requires the same movement in the same direction repeatedly. So if you do exclusively treadmill you may want to work on knee strength and mobility separately.

@purdella I saw this article recently about a 93 year old who took up rowing in his 70s, and who scientists studied because he's such a crazy good athlete for his age.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2024/01/16/fitness-aging-richard-morgan/

He does an average of 40 minutes a day, 70% easy workouts, 20% moderate, 10% all out. He does some weightlifting, to failure (!), and eats a high protein diet.

The going to failure cracked me up because of how many 20 year olds I see worried about fatigue, and this 93 year old is doing lunges and curls to failure.

@purdella All of it sounds reasonable and possible. I would add a daily 2-3 mile outdoor walk every day. And if for some reason you have to choose between walking and rowing - would prioritize rowing.

@itrm Thanks! Yeah, I have a 4 yo right now who loves to go outside so steps isn't an issue but I should set that as a goal because I'm not always going to have a kid dragging me to the park everyday. (my dad (66) told me at Christmas that sometimes he struggles to get 1k steps a day and I actually went pale)

@purdella A couple of years ago my youngest kid hit an age where I didn't need to chase her around anymore. We got a dog. He's good for about 10k steps a day.

Also, I'm about 200 lbs and I jump rope 3-5 times a week. My knees feel great and I plan on doing it as long as I can .

@purdella Start today. Nothing outrageous here. But the jumping rope may become difficult so you age. Also, if youre going to row learn how to row with good form (no rainbows!). And don’t forget about the importance of rest days.

@bledwards1 I've actually already started, I'm just trying to solidify goals. About six weeks ago (after reading a study on jump roping and bone strength in perimenopausal and menopausal women) I started jumping rope. At that time jumping about 20 jumps a few times a day was giving me shin splints. Now I'm up to 4 one minute sets. :D And, many years ago i was on a university rowing team, so I'm familiar with good rowing form, but it's a good reminder. I've have a decent rowing machine in my basement that I've used inconsistently over the past few years but I've been trying to be more consistent with a lower time rather than be less consistent with a longer time.

I hadn't really thought about rest days. Thanks!

@purdella I would also do some stretching at end if the day also. Especially on fairly active days. It's also good to keep in mind life can happen and things with your body can change out of your control, and I don't say this to scare you just that you can end up changing plans or goals over time as well. So don't feel bad if you get thrown off course there are different ways to adapt and get back on track for your fitness goals and health. Never stop learning is excellent goal.

I would add in doing farmer's walk a couple times a week as well or every other day. Helps keeping up balance and core strength and endurance.

@wolfwhohowlstoparadise Thanks, and so true, there's so much about life that's out of our control. I have a sweet friend who, at 16, was in a car crash and had her arm severed. You just never know what will happen, what's important is the will to adapt and come back from it.