Millennial here

@dawn16 My diet isn’t the best but my sleep is typically good. I do lab work twice a year (I have some hereditary stuff I like to keep an eye on) and doctor always gives me big thumbs ups with the exception of hereditary stuff we can’t do much about.
That’s great advice to look at 6 months ago, thank you. I tracked my progress a little more diligently earlier this evening and realized I’ve been making more progress than I initially thought. I’ll keep slogging along for now.

@childofgodforever As others have said, you’re in great shape compared to most people, probably even at your box. From what you’ve said, you’re probably able to do most workouts as Rx, which is not true for most folks. There’s a reason that Crossfjt starts age group competitions at age 35, most of us do start to slow down around then, even if just a little. Your rest and nutrition also start to become much more important. I’d suggest going 4 days a week, doing active recovery, getting enough protein, and sleeping more. All of those will make a serious difference.

@dtpostel Thank you! You’re right, I need to do a better job at looking at my average peers and not the ones who have been ultra-diligently about their health for the last 20+ years.
I’m nowhere near RX at the moment (and probably never will be), but I’ll keep at it and hopefully continue making the incremental improvements.

@childofgodforever There's a reason professional athletes generally retire in their late 30s.

And why many Crossfit coaches will tell you that the guys most likely to get injured are in theiir late 30s and early 40s who forget they can't lift and run like they did when they were 22.

@childofgodforever Just something I’m observing and not meant to tear you down, but I’m kind of sad you just want to give up if you don’t see massive improvement?

You saw the benefits of being a dedicated athlete when you were young, and now you’ve seen the results of sitting on your ass for 10 years.

Doesn’t that motivate you to want to keep a somewhat active and healthy lifestyle just to feel better in your 40s/50s/60s?

Hope you stay active even if it’s not crossfit just to keep yourself in good health!

@childofgodforever
  1. While you're aging, you can absolutely continue to improve your fitness. I don't have the same energy I had while I was in the my 20s, but can lift more, run longer and still feel great. Forgive yourself for aging and feeling different and keep on trucking.
  2. Consistency trumps everything- diet, overload etc. Just keep at it, and try to get to 5 workout days a week. I target 6 (one of which is a cool down run). Results will get there when they get there; some movements just take a long time to see progress. I also find that the more I establish
  3. Diet matters but that's super subjective. Not sure you need a nutritionist, but just practice common sense- reduce alcohol, fried and fatty foods and sugars, eat more lean protein and fiber rich foods and you'll probably be just fine. I personally don't believe in all these nutrition hacks.
Ultimately you're the judge of your effort. If you're sweaty, winded and feel you did your max, you probably did.