Muscle imbalances

simancia

Hey! I’m curious what people have successfully done to fix muscle imbalances. I’m left handed and have noticed for a few years that my R side muscles are generally smaller. I think this stemmed from an injury about 2.5 years ago to my shoulder which I never had examined and let heal over a few weeks. My R pec is very noticeably smaller, my R arm is an inch smaller than the L (was about 1/2 in about a year ago), and my shoulder is smaller as well.

I’ve tried training unilateral training and starting with my R, as well as doing extra work with that side off and on (probably not as consistent as I should be). I got seen by my pcp a few months back and he recommended pt to see if that helps or so my insurance would cover an mri if not but haven’t been in to see them since they’re so far booked out.

Any other advice is appreciated!

@simancia Dont train one side more than the other, and work on mobility and form. Many times due do limited mobility or poor form one side may get an uneven workout, or not an identical one

@vloggle Any recommendations for improving mobility? I do a good job focusing on technique, but generally train alone so of course may be lacking there and don’t notice for some movements

@simancia Train your right side to failure then do the same amount on the left. Sooner or later it will catch back up. Try to not to bilateral movements if you can as it’s easy to dominate with the stronger side.

@dsal I do that when possible. I don’t do it for chest presses though. It hasn’t seemed to help and my rpe only seems to be off by about 1-2 for my left side.

@simancia I feel like it’s not necessary with dumbbell chest press, because it’s just two unilateral movements combined. You have to stop when your weaker side fails. You could also try squeezing partials out of the weaker side.

@simancia I’m not sure but I’m pretty sure the best way to do it is to keep one arm locked in against the weight and not moving and move the other one and don’t alternate. I think it has something to do with bilateral deficiency. That’s what I saw in Dr Mike vid so I would say it’s pretty trustworthy but definitely ask someone else

@simancia My left tricep is smaller than my right everytime I’m doing pushdowns or extensions I’ll add a set just for my left to failure and it is very closed to being even now

@simancia Do unilateral work but honestly just keep progressing overall and you will be fine. I used to do my weaker left side first to set the rep count on that weight then do right but thats when I was getting over an injury. Now I do strong side first and will match on weaker left side or do a pause set to get that same rep count. Working well so far.

Also definitely work on technique, control on eccentric and mind muscle connection.