Muscle Strain of the Upper Back (Trapezius Strain) keeps killing my gains and motivation

nisa

Hi,

I'm 36(M), trying very slowly to get back into shape. Mainly working with resistance band, incrementally adding reps to my workout. Trying to do a full body workout, not neglecting any muscle group. And starting every workout with

Upper Body Warmup with Antranik

get the same injury every damn time! usually happens every couple of weeks, pain will start during the night or day after the workout and the pain can last for a week in which I avoid doing any type of sport. This is the place of the pain:

sometimes the right side, other times the left side.

And once I start again I fall back to a lower repetition count and slowly increment again until the next "injury".

This is very frustrating, I would appreciate any tip you can give - thanks.

@nisa My 2c, i had similar pain, repeating after working back up to heavier weights after a few weeks. I really had to focus on posture / form and feeling contractions in the 'lower base' of my back. Too much desk work & hunched over shoulders, means I was using too much traps in every exercise. I had to drop weights and re-train doing every rep 'right'. Took a few months but it helped me get stronger.

I would go to a physio for a definitive answer if you can.

@nisa See a physical therapist -- wish there was some magical catch to help, but could be caused by a multitude of things (form, posture, body habitus, past injuries...etc). Get someone to run the battery of things on you and give you a specific direction.

@nisa See a physical therapist -- wish there was some magical catch to help, but could be caused by a multitude of things (form, posture, body habitus, past injuries...etc). Get someone to run the battery of things on you and give you a specific direction.

@travelingfarmgal I'd recommend the same. Make sure that this is an actual strain and nothing more than that. A therapist will be able to provide proper isolation exercise that will allow for targeting the problem. That way hopefully this will cease to be a recurring problem.
Good luck

@nisa Agree on the PT reccomendations. PTs do wonders for musculoskeletal problems, just make sure you find the right one. Research the clinic you decide to go to. Look at PT bios i.e. experience, additional certifications. Try to avoid the big chain clinics as you would end being seen at the same time as 3 other patients usually. Most states PTs can do trigger point dry needling where they use accupuncture needles to break up a trigger point (not the same as accupuncture) and cupping therapy. Also?, some states have direct access where you can see a PT without an MD referral.
Self help, try getting a trigger point ball and roll over the area with ice and stretch amd avoid exercising the area until you feel comfortable. If you lifted heavy and felt a strain and there was some bruising could be a tear which would require a significant amout of time.

@nisa I have something similar. I can counter it by doing chest muscle stretches every day. Really work to get the picks and upper front muscles to release.

@nisa I don’t have a video, but my favorite stretch is done lying on my back with my foam roller along my spine (for support, not to roll) and I do snow angel movements. My shoulders drop down toward the floor as the muscles loosen.

@nisa I have had the same issue. Your trapezius isn't going to heal in a couple of weeks, unfortunately. You probably need physical therapy and a little break from back exercises. Go see your doctor.

@nisa We're the same age. One of the best things I did to keep my shit from snapping is yoga. Get into it. You don't need a class or anything... Buy a mat and use youtube. 15 min a day consistently goes a long, long way to strengthening muscles is odd places.