My fitness goal: be able carry my 130 lbs partner from the couch to the bed without waking her up. How to achieve?

whatgoeshere

After a long day my partner tends to pass out on the couch, and as said, my fitness goal is to be able to pick up and carry her approx the 10 metres from the couch to the bed without waking her or injuring myself. However we will eventually upgrade to a two floor residence so ideally I want to be able to do this up a flight of stairs.

I've had this goal for a few years and not made any progress, so would love your help. At this point I can pick her up with great difficulty, and can only travel a few steps before I have to put her down.

I am 130 lbs, 5'3, 31yo, F. My current workout regime is bouldering 1-3x/week (indoors & outdoors), running 5-10 kms 1-2x/week, lifting 1-2x/week, and light yoga 2-4x/week. Lifting has been really variable because of covid and lots of closures in my region. When I'm able to access a gym, I cycle deadlifts, shoulder press, squats, and chest press with 2 auxiliary lifts with each. I usually lift at the climbing gym after bouldering for 60-90 minutes, so I can't get anywhere close to max but am not so concerned with ego numbers.

When the gym is closed, I have adjustable dumbbells at home that max out at 20lbs each and do HIIT style stuff plus auxiliary lifts. When the gym is open and I can lift 2x/week, for the major lifts I'm at:

Deadlift - 7reps x 3 sets x 85lbs barbell

Shoulder press - 7x3x20lbs each dumbbell

Squat - 7x3x75lbs barbell

Bench - 7x3x25lbs each dumbbell

(using dumbbells for arm lifts rather than barbell because it's more functional for bouldering)

What training would you suggest I do? Open to anything, since what I'm doing is obviously not working.

@whatgoeshere I think u need a professional boy trainer to help setup a plan for you.

It is not easy feat to carry something as heavy as 130 lbs, about the weight of a Sony z9k 85 inches tv on you own, especially if you need to go up a flight of stairs without waking your partner.

This is especially so if it is about your weight!!

I can lift 60 lb each hand dead lift amd curling about 45 lbs per hand , but my body weight is over 200 lb.

Carrying and moving car tire can help.

But u definitely need a body trainer for this. 130 lbs weight forward load is extremely heavy, more like curl like body load.

Human can lift way heavier dead lift style, just upward, rather than forward, curling style.

And you have to maintain a 130 lb load for well over 5 to 10 mins.

If you can do it, that is very impressive.

@whatgoeshere please be careful with awkward, non static loads. that is all I have to say. your back is important.

I feel like it sounds like a mix of a bicep curl and a deadlift exercise. if you can deadlift more than your partner you should have a solid base.

again. the best manual handling is no manual handling.

@whatgoeshere Heavy front squats and power cleans. You just have to get used to front carrying that much weight. Zercher squats will help but you want the range of motion from front squats too. You can also try weighted planks.

@whatgoeshere Deadlifts are the key here, and I promise you, you can do WAY more than 85 lbs. I’m 103 lbs rn, have barely been lifting due to the pandemic, have had a back injury for the past 10 years, and am at 195 lbs deadlift. I would really focus on getting that lift up and possibly supplementing with heavy farmers walks and front squats.

@dawn16 Yeah I’m starting to realize that I’m probably way underloading. I tend to work out alone and don’t want to get in over my head but I need to up my game a bit.

@whatgoeshere Most people have suggested lifting heavy more often, which is great advice because your lifts aren't quite in the ballpark of her bodyweight yet, but I haven't seen much about the carrying portion. In order to keep her soundly asleep and without dropping her, you'll need a great deal of core stability also.

Sandbag carries would be great for this like someone else mentioned, but also yoke walks, heavy walking lunges, or heavy kettlebell front rack carries will help with that. You're probably on the right track using dumbbells or kettlebells for functionality - body weight is not evenly distributed like a barbell so you may find yourself off balance picking her up.

Best of luck, and definitely keep us updated!!

@whatgoeshere I would recommend that you train the squat and deadlift a couple times a week, at least one of the days being in a lower rep range.
You could theoretically use zerchers on top of that but I think getting a big deadlift is a good place to start.