My weights and reps feel all over the place

The gyms are open again and I decided to try a new P/P/L routine as I've been only able to do a simple 5x5 routine at home.

I went back to the gym for the first time the other day and I kinda walked away from the session feeling unsatisfied I felt like the weight I was lifting was all over the place thus resulting in my reps being all over the place. Just didn't feel fluid or maybe it was that I felt like I didn't know what I was doing because of that.

Let's say I do dumbbell curls my goal is 4x10 by set 3 or 4 I'm not reaching the full reps of 10 and my form is weak. Should I be focusing on doing the full set and reps? If so, should i drop down from the weight I was failing at?

Last question is how do I know when I'm ready to increase weights? Most dumbbells / cables/ bench can go by increments of 5lb increases. Should I feel it when I'm ready as in the last set with full form is now easy?

I feel like I got the routine down, maximizing my time by have the time for the whole routine line up with my schedule is all good. Just what weight to start at and when to increase the weight I'm still not sure on.

@christambassador1968
Should I be focusing on doing the full set and reps? If so, should i drop down from the weight I was failing at?

The most important thing here is to track your progress. If a weight felt too heavy this workout, then lessen it for the next. If a weight felt too easy, then increase for the next time. Generally, you should pick a weight where you can maintain good form for the sets. However, you should also push yourself where the last reps are difficult and sometimes this might lead you not being able to do the last couple reps which is fine.

Last question is how do I know when I'm ready to increase weights? Most dumbbells / cables/ bench can go by increments of 5lb increases. Should I feel it when I'm ready as in the last set with full form is now easy?

I kind of answered this above. So either go up in weight when then current weight is too easy where you are completing the target sets/reps. Additionally, if you are plateauing at a certain weight, you might want to increase the weight and lower the numbers of reps. I would say as long as you are doing 6 reps per set, that is fine.

Back