Need advice with lifting during weight loss

ricksterm

(deep breath) OK, this is a bit scary (like I've tried to convince myself to do this for a month scary) because while I post in weight loss subs I've never ventured into a fitness sub before but I need help from other people who have some knowledge on weight loss and weight lifting.

I love weightlifting. I'm 62. I've lost 175 lbs. from where I was at, my highest weight was 462 lbs.

I track everything I eat and concentrate on protein and fiber. Current TDEE is 2,287. I keep my calories to 1,600 or less daily. I don't change my food around because it's easier to eat the same things every day.

I drink 64 ounces of water daily.

At the gym: endless rope, weight machines, and free weights. Free weights are currently 10 lbs. On the pec deck I'm at 65 lbs. I do 2 - 3 set of 10 reps and increase load when I can.

I'm at the gym M/W/F, Tuesdays and Saturdays I'm cycling. I'm up to 2.75 miles in 35 minutes and while I'm slow there my goal is to increase my endurance because eventual goal at my goal weight is to do distance cycling. I have other goals, getting back on roller skates, hiking, but those things are dependent on having the weight off.

I recently went to physical therapy because I have OA in the left knee and a bone spur on my right heel. The PT told me that I need to drop my weights to 10-15 lbs. on machines and increase the reps to 12 -20 and drop the free weights to 5 lbs.

I don't wanna, my body feels good. I'm so much stronger.

HOWEVER...however, I still have over 100 lbs. to lose and my weight loss has completely stalled for the last 2 months so now I'm questioning everything, I'm confused, and I've done this on my own from the start. In the beginning I was basically bedridden, could get to the bathroom and back and that was it.

I would appreciate input and ideas on what I'm doing and what would be more beneficial to developing my body while I lose the last of the weight. Do I cut to 1,200 calories or do I quit increasing the weights I'm lifting? I don't know which direction to take at my age.

Summer is almost here and so with that I will be adding swimming a couple of times a week because...it's summer. I love swimming.

I'll include a progress pic because why not? This is me.

https://preview.redd.it/64t9m1b3s4o...bp&s=93de45c0c3feb551db87b44599348a033b6e0399

@ricksterm First off, Congratulations! This is one hell of an achievement. I worked as an EMT and ran a Bariatric Ambulance for years. We had many regulars so I have seen the ups and downs losses and gains of major weight loss, unfortunately most people go up or stay the same. Living mostly unhappy lives. So I can say honestly, great job and keep it up.

Now on to your question,
I imagine you are seeing your Dr. regularly as well as your PT people. I myself have been losing some weight, I'm naturally a big guy at a beefy 240# but want to get to a lean 185#. I'm currently at 215. But I've hit a plateau and have needed to recalibrate my routines. I have been relying on my Dr. and PT person for advice and guidance. They have told me the same thing, don't worry about calories just eat healthy, up cardio and do more reps.

I think it is wise for you to follow your Dr. and PT folks advice. Which sound the same as mine, low weights with reps, reps, reps, rep, reps and Cardio, Cardio, Cardio. For losing weight this is what needs to happen. But keep in mind. We all hit plateaus, it's normal, and part of your body adjusting to physical changes and changes in your activity levels, diet, etc. So don't get discouraged. Stay the course.

Personally, I highly suggest you increase your cardio. I put a huge amount of focus in this but it's something most people struggle with. However, the benefits are huge. Cardio helps your.... Cardiovascular system. Duh, right? Well having a healthy, strong and pliable cardiovascular system will help in every aspect of your life. We need blood circulation, the better that blood circulates (exchanging O2/CO2, nutrients/toxins and delivering vital chemicals) the healthier you will become.

You have been an evil 🐇 to your cardiovascular system. Weight gain and loss is really tough on it. So put real focus into making it stronger. You can't go wrong with this so long as you don't hurt yourself causing you to stop working out.

Again, congrats, well done and good luck!

@christina1979 Thank you so much for this, I appreciate it, truly.

I have this thing in my head about if I don't keep increasing the weight I'm being lazy and being lazy led me to the bed. My brain has always been a mess.

I'll be adding swimming, I'm going to increase the biking, and I'll drop back on the amount of weight I'm lifting and increase the reps.

I was a very bad bunny to my CV system, for years. I've actually been shocked at how well my body has responded overall, I've recovered much more than I thought I could at my age.

I'm glad I posted and thank you again for the helpful response.

@studythebiblenotthesermon You're right, of course you're right. I'm not sure where I have that conviction from but like a lot of things I used to believe it's going on the deletion pile.

Thank you for the correction, it made me see things in a new light.

@ricksterm Outstanding work! If you hit a plateau there is nothing wrong with sitting at maintenance for a while. Find a lifting program that fits and stick with it. I'm definitely not a nutrition/diet expert, but from what I've seen this is a natural part of the process. If it were me I would not drop the calories any lower. Again, I'm not an expert, just someone who has been through the process, albeit not at your level. If you can increase the weights, there is nothing wrong with more strength. Any additional muscle should lead to increased metabolism.

@ricksterm You look amazing. Your healthier journey is obvious from your pics. You are definitely on a good path.

I am also a 60 year old female. I had a health scare a few years ago which really scared me. Over the he past few years I have taken an aggressive approach to my health. It took me a year to really get the right mindset between food, cardio, and weight lifting. That's when I started seeing real changes . I now LOVE weightlifting.

The best $ I have spent has been on a trainer. Worth every penny. She is with the YMCA so she is more reasonable than others. Her knowledge of weightlifting has helped me do it correctly....my form first . . always. Can you find a trainer?
Also support groups like this help. If you are on Facebook, check out 50 and Beyond Gaining Muscles. It's for women. Some of the ladies are really hardcore but most are just average woman. Lots of good information on it.

We are cheering for you!!!

@dawn16 Thank you! I do want to invest in a trainer but I have to wait until the summer, that's when our pensions and and my husband's SS kicks in, right now we are living on mine and we are fine but we have to keep the budget tight. We don't have any CC bills anymore, managed to pay them all off, and we decided together if we don't have the money it's not happening.

We retired "early" although I don't know that I consider 61 early retirement but whatever. It required some belt tightening but we are almost through it. I didn't want to see my husband killing himself for another 5 years, I'd rather do without some stuff.

I have actually looked into trainers and have talked to a couple that are local to me so it's in my plans to do, thank you for the response and the cheers!

@ricksterm I retired from teaching in May. I was able to take the "rule of 80" and start drawing my Missouri pension. Teaching the last few years was ruining my health. Less $, but I feel 💯 healthier.

Keep me/us posted on your fitness journey!

@ricksterm Your dedication is really, truly inspiring. Thank you so much for making this post! It will certainly offer lots of encouragement to many people who are contemplating a similar change.

@roberto1820 I don't know how encouraging I am, I'm sort of a mess, but def less of a mess than I was.

I didn't want to die in the bed, that's at the bottom of it. I was a nurse for years, I've seen that, it's not what I wanted for myself and def not what I wanted my husband to deal with after a lifetime of working hard and supporting his family. I feel like that would be a really fucked up thing to do to someone you love.

Now we have a trip to Cozumel planned for the autumn and sometime in 2024 we both want to go to Ireland. I've never seen it and I want to see the Old Library at Trinity College in Dublin where the Book of Kells is kept. I know I can't see that but I can see where it stays. I love reading and books, I always have, so it's kind of an origin want of mine because it's the oldest existing book.

So I'm working hard to get my ambulation as strong as possible because there will be a lot of walking to do.

I had let that dream go because I was convinced it would never happen. Turns out you can do anything you truly set your mind to, who knew? ;)

@ricksterm First off, let me say that what you have accomplished is something 90% of normal weight people could never do. My sister lost over 100# about 5 years back, and the sheer will and determination it took her every day was mind-blowing. Except for pregnancies, I’ve been within 10-15 lbs of my “norm” all my life. I’m a disciplined person, but I could NEVER do what she did and what you are doing. You really are an inspiration.

So, I will say some things here that are debatable medically, but I’m going to say them here, and, as with all things reddit, you can decide to take it and mull it over or leave it.
  1. High reps/low weight work as well as low reps/high weight for weight loss/maintaining and body recomp. But for gaining strength, if that is your goal, progressive overload up to a certain point is necessary. I would stay with what you’ve worked up to with upper body, as long as your form is good, but with lower/legs, remember that you are already lifting, and have been lifting, way more weight than most women could possibly do at your age and former size.
  2. I maintain my weight with around 1500-1800 calories per day. That is my new normal post-menopause. It sucks bcz it is hardly anything, and to drop, I have to go down to 1000-1300. HOWEVER, I was not able to lose the last 10-15 pounds I had gained post-last pregnancy and in my 50s no matter how little I ate without thyroid med. My metabolism def slowed dramatically. This is something that happens to women in a very real, powerful way that does not happen to men, so simply CICO may not work for you at some point down the road. Don’t let any man, medically trained or not, tell you otherwise. Thyroids and hormones play a much bigger role as women age than most doctors and gyns know or will admit. (There is virtually no med school training and very little sound research on aging women’s bodies bcz nobody cares.) So realize that you’ll have to be your own advocate for blood testing and possible HRT, especially concerning circulating estrogens, progesterone, and testosterone in older women’s bodies.
  3. Women’s bodies build and hang on to fat cells for estrogen in a way that men’s bodies do not. Our bodies easily gain fat cells for warmth and estrogen production over our lives in a way that men’s bodies do not. Those cells are evolutionarily programmed to hold on for dear life, literally. I firmly believe that the more fat cells a woman has built up over her life, the stronger the pull on her body to maintain them and fill them with excess energy. Fat cells are resilient and relentless in their drive to store energy. No amount of cardio is going to stop them; they’ll adapt. At some point, you may want to explore lipo or some other method of removing the excess of them from your body. Again, just sayin’ that it may take much more for you than simply diet and exercise. But again, very few people, even medically trained ones, will tell you that.
  4. That said, calories are basically burned through respiration. It’s more complicated than that, of course, but that’s basically how the body gets rid of energy: breathing CO2 out. So, think about that when you are exercising. If you aren’t breathing heavily, then you are not burning much. As far as weights, every woman should be lifting to build muscle. As a former competitive swimmer, though, I believe that swimming is one of the BEST cardio workouts for the human body. It also over develops long lean muscle fibers, but you have to do it right. I can’t tell you how many overweight women I see bobbing up and down, water walking with buoyancy belts, or barely moving in water aerobics classes. That’s fun, but it’s not going to get you where you want to be. Whatever you do in the water, you need to be actively resisting the water as if it was a heavy weight, pulling or pushing like you do with weights on dry land, and straining your muscles with time under tension. The beauty of swimming is that you are also forced to breathe in an irregular way, which dramatically cuts the amount of oxygen, and if you are working it, you end up making your heart and lungs extremely efficient at pulling oxygen and respirating out CO2. As long as you don’t give yourself a heart attack, all this is good. So I would say, swim as much as you can on a regular basis until you are close to your goal weight. After that, you may need to do more like running or long-distance cycling, depending on your goals.
There, I’ve said it.

Back