Need advice with lifting during weight loss

@atlantadad I'm so busy today I have to hide in the bathroom to write this (a good thing) but I will reply in more depth tonight and THANK YOU sincerely for writing this, I'm saving it, it's what I was looking for. ❤️ Thank you for taking all this time for me, I sincerely appreciate it.

So I went to our pool and was told they had a "chemical accident" pictures someone randomly dumping jug after jug of muriatic acid in the pool and cannot say when it will open back up. I went through the county hospital system and tried that but they've closed their pool until further notice.

We have an awesome old huge Olympic sized outdoor pool near us but where I live they refuse to open pools until the end of May when school is out so right now I'm SOL but that's ok, I'll keep cycling and working out on alternate days until a pool becomes available.

I've always been a lap swimmer but I'll be the first to tell you I don't go hard. It's 20 minutes of breast stroke (last summer, I was 302 lbs and I'm 286 now).

I wouldn't do the American crawl, although I know how, because of my arm skin. It's pretty atrocious, ngl, but over the winter I discovered long sleeve rash guards so I'm gonna just have to get over myself now.

And OMG you were a competitive swimmer and I am soooo jealous. It was what I wanted to do as a kid but my parents weren't the best and they moved me out in the country away from everyone and it was just one of those dreams that had to die. I've always loved to swim though, I've done it through everything until the last summer before I started weight loss when I was too big. Honestly, that summer, being locked in a bed instead of floating down a river, stands as one of the worst three month spans of my life. Just having swimming back, and river tubing, is everything.

I was thinking about what you wrote while I was at the gym today and paid more attention to actual breathing and exertion and I think I'm starting to get it right, I was a sweaty beast but I've been going here long enough (my gym is at a rec center) that everyone is used to me and when I'm a hot sweaty mess they gonna have to just be ok with it.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and they are mucking about with my dosage right now, I was taking too much. I have to do a routine colonoscopy and the gastro and anesthesia have asked me to stay on 1,200 cal until the procedure and I agreed. I have an ED (like, no shit, no one gets to the size I was normally) but I have done SO much mental work I'm sure I'll be fine besides there's nothing to binge on in the house anyway, my husband is working on himself too and foodwise it's very spare around here. If this works, it's my second day on 1,200, I'll just stay with it for awhile as long as I'm not having issues.

I want to shift this weight, I want it gone. I've tried the "patience and take your time" and I've done fair with that mentally and I would never recommend that someone as big as I was go into 1,200 cal right off the bat, I think it's a recipe for failure, but I was at 1,600 to 1,800 and it's not that much of a cut. Getting the protein right is a, well, it's a struggle. I've made friends with oysters and sardines packed in water. I had a weird childhood so they are foods that don't bother me although I know they gross a lot of people out. The best bang for the buck I've been able to find for low calories/high protein.

ANYway, sort of stepping off the cliff into the next phase of this. People around me are starting to notice the changes and I'm making friends at the gym and while I'm not used to this and it's uncomfortable because I'm neurospicy and I word vomit (even when typing) I'm learning to sort of reign it in a little. Socialization is hard when you've self-isolated for awhile, it doesn't take long for everything to feel awkward but these days everyone knows that.

I'm excited to see what this year brings me. I have plans and goals and I think that's super important because without something to drive me forward it's not really a life, it's just existing, you know?

Thank you again.

@ricksterm Wow, you've made amazing changes!

I don't change my food around because it's easier to eat the same things every day.

I sometimes chide myself for eating the same breakfast every day, but it makes life easier.

@ricksterm I'd follow the PT's recommendations. Those are really light weights so if they are being suggested, you must be in danger of hurting yourself until you get stronger or the other issue is taken care of, assuming it can be.

@laditori I was really frank with her, explained my goals, asked her to look at my squat and tell me what I needed to work on. We spent about 45 minutes together and she gave me really useful tips. I already changed my routine today, dropped the weights back and dialed up the reps/intensity. I'm still with the endless rope because that's good cardio for me and I incorporate some of the stuff I learned from watching Body By Jake and taking aerobics classes a million years ago in another life in my early twenties. I've been active in spurts all my life, I never missed a summer swimming until the last one before I started to change and while that didn't spur it laying in that bed when I could be on a river somewhere was killing me. A big part of this for me was if you want the food, this is what you have to give up. I reached a point I wasn't willing to give up any more than I already had and I had a lot of shit I wanted back. Cycling was one of those things and I already have that back so now I'm, "Hmmmm, thought I was past this, seems I'm not, what else can I do?"

Food just became less and less of a priority.

I am taking the rest of the weight off, that's not up for debate. I'm far enough in I can see what I can do and how much better I can be, I think the knee will improve, the pain levels (the arthritis is there and there's no changing that, this is about dealing with my pain levels without meds) and I have a podiatry appt. for the bone spur. I'm hoping, fingers crossed, there is a brace or some inserts or something that I'm not aware of to support the foot and back the pain off while I lose the rest of the weight.

Even if I still hurt with all the weight off....I can walk now, on my own, unassisted. I can carry my 32 lb. grandson down the hall I used to have to use both hands on the walls to walk down when I first started. I've already won. I just want more.

@ricksterm Listen to the PT. You need to lose the weight first. Right now its more important for you to loose the weight before you worry about gaining muscle.....it is better for your joints and bones. Don't worry - the time will come for you to lift heavy :) Consistency is the key and be patient with your body - as long as you do the right thing eventually your body will come along!

@dawn16
Don't worry - the time will come for you to lift heavy :)

I moved the heavy lifting to my goal list along with other goals, like getting to 175 lbs or less so I can ride a horse again and not hurt the horse and getting on roller skates again because I love them and I don't care how old I am - whether age allows me to or not when I get there it doesn't hurt to work towards them.

I love consistency now! I love having a plan and implementing it, I find it exciting to have these habits that, instead of breaking me down and making me sick are lifting me up and giving me back my life. I love making my food plan first thing in the morning and then not having to think about food the rest of the day because....done.

Thank you for the input and the response, I truly appreciate it. Also, I love your username.

Back