new potential diet, but hesitant because it goes against a lot of what I know in health/nutrition

emmelia

So let me get some things out of the way, I've been vegan since 2010, into health and fitness for longer than that, so I am not into "fads" when it comes to that, however I do like to test things and see how it makes me feel, and this is one of those tests.

The way I like to eat, is I have a "base" diet comprised of foods that I eat every day for every meal. Keep in mind that these aren't the only foods I eat during the day, I will often snack or have something extra after dinner. I really enjoy eating this way, as I know I'm getting all of my RDA of macro/micro nutrients, and anything in addition to that is just bonus, whether that be for performance or pleasure.

Now I like to use Cronometer from time to time to see if I can further optimize my daily diet, whether that be for cost-per-nutrient density ratio, food availability, taste, health benefits, etc.

Let me just say, that the more simple my diet is, the more I enjoy it. I find it so freeing that I can get everything I need in the least amount of food or variety as possible. It allows me more options of what to eat in addition to my base diet, and overall is more enjoyable.

The issue here is that it sort of goes against a lot of what is typically recommended. People find it too restricting, bland/boring, not sufficient in calories/nutrition etc. These are the sort of things I'm trying to find, because even though all my years of experience with managing different diet plans and maintaining a full nutritional profile, on paper, eating in this new way crosses off all marks, and even excels in other areas compared to my carefully tailored diet I have been eating for years. Seems to good to be true, and typically that is the case, so I am looking for good reasons not to do this, because I'm really close to trying it.

Without trying to ramble any longer, here is the data from Cronometer:

Some things to consider-

*Daily supplements are B12, D3, and Iodine
*I do use salt in my foods, and the minor amounts of Vit A, B5, Potassium, Selenium, and Zinc will all be filled in with the additional foods I eat on top of the foods from the second image, but I didn't include them because those foods aren't daily/variable
*In case anyone misses it, I'm aware that Niacin is low on the chart, however I keep a note on my diary to remind me of Tryptophan conversion for Niacin (which does not get calculated in the diary) to reach adequate levels
*Surprisingly, Omega 3/6 are higher than anticipated, but fat is a little lower than I like, may add some flax or walnuts to the mix to bolster that
*I know the calories are low, but I feel I need to say it again here, this is not all of the calories I will eat in a day, I usually like to hover around 2200-2500 for maintenance/exercise, and I do not condone too little calories resulting in having an unhealthy body weight

I suppose what I’m trying to find is, why should I not do this?

@emmelia I mean honestly most people are eating mcdonalds and doritos and snack cakes for their dietary staples and still stringing it along thanks to modern medicine at least to age 60 or so, you've got them beat by miles and miles.

If this is your "base diet" and you're adding other foods in on top then I would say your variety is fine. Some of the longest lived peoples in blue zones eat almost the exact same things every day, places like italy, okinawa, etc. Iirc the longest lived family in the world has been eating minestrone soup and fresh sourdough bread for lunch every day for their whole lives. You're checking the boxes in cronometer very well, and you said you're on top of the b3, so I don't see a problem. Personally I would get bored eating your diet every day, but to each their own.

Variety is good for the gut microbiome but looks like you're getting all the food groups anyways, so if you're not experiencing any digestive issues I wouldn't worry at all. There are problably some adjustments you could make but based on your cronometer screen it looks like you're hitting the nail on the head.

@timmdogg Yes, gut microbiome was really my only “concern” with this. I do take a pre/probiotic daily as well, so that should help I hope.

So far everything you’ve said is in line with my thinking on the matter. It just seems so weird in our modern society to have a diet based around literally 2 foods and it’s actually complete. So far it feels more like a mental struggle accepting its safety and effectiveness.

@dawn16 Haha, you know I thought about that back in the day as well, but the volume needed was too much, even for me.
This consists of broccoli and soybeans.

Back