New to crossfit - and it's kicking my ass!

smarch

Hey all, I (33M, 5'10, 170lbs) have taken up crossfit in the last few weeks, and the wods are absolutely killing me. I thought I was moderately fit, having played a lot of football (soccer) in my teens and early twenties, followed by general gym & kettlebell workouts into my thirties. Crossfit has humbled me so much, the gulf between me and the rest of the folk in the class is a lot bigger than I expected.

I'm sometimes struggling to complete the wods even when scaled. I think I need to work on my cardio fitness, but I'm also looking for advice if there's something better I could be doing. My current plan is to do 3 x 5km zone 2 runs a week to build up my cardio base. I currently attend crossfit classes 2x a week, but can't attend more often atm due to my schedule.

Is there anything else I should be doing to help prep me for the wods? I'm also keeping a kettlebell conditioning workout 1x a week alongside the 5k runs.

One caveat is that I have arthritis, so a) it takes me longer to recover in general b) I have reduced lung capacity compared to an average person my age and c) I'm also doing to be spending time doing mobility work, because my wrists/shoulder mobility is absolute trash and a front rack/squat is physically impossible for me at the moment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

(P.S. I've definitely already caught the crossfit bug and I'm in this for the long haul!)

@smarch Mobility and pacing. Pacing took me about three years to learn. Purely my own stupid ego. Don’t fly out the gates. Always be moving. You will get better the longer you do it.

@beachgirl76 I would feel like such a coward by quitting workouts midway and couldn’t understand how others could keep going. I have a reasonable engine (nothing like some of the people here). Realised it was just me starting a long workout, getting HR to 180 and then trying to hold on for 45 minutes just wasn’t sustainable. Mykos triangle is a great workout to use to learn pacing. 3 minutes work 1 minute rest. I’d use my heart rate tracker to try and get my heart rate down to a certain level during that minute and I could tell whether I would then be able to hit the target I’d set.

@smarch About a yr into my crossfit journey (2019) I heard Ben Bergeron say “if you aren’t finishing the WOD at a faster pace than you started it, then you paced it wrong” — that has been so helpful to me, never start so hot you crawl across the finish, better to pick up speed bc you saved some in the tank. Also I think that crossfit helps crossfit, just keep going. I’ve been doing 3x week for 6 years now.

@smarch Just keep at it and give it time. Make sure you’re getting enough healthy carbs and protein. You may need more carbs than you’re used to eating as high intensity workouts are glycolytic. I see a lot of folks in my gym that don’t make meaningful progress after years of training 4+ times a week. Nutrition is a huge component that can transform your work into results.

Back