Newbie, can anyone CC my routine?

mtnpinelady

I’ve worked out off and on with trainers for three years and this is the longest I’ve ever gone on a solo routine, 6 weeks (yay go me!). I sort of combined different things I’ve learned from different trainers to find something sustainable that works for me.

So far I’m very happy with the below, and the results are encouraging. I want to know how it could be improved!

Routine, then my questions:
  • M-S: run 3-4 miles on elliptical
  • M W F: 12 minutes of the below arm exercises
  • T Th: Stairmaster 15 minutes, various speeds. Every :30s I alternate adding squatted steps, side steps, calf raised steps, and kickbacks.
  • I end every day with 5 minutes of the below ab exercises
Arms: 2 Rounds, :30s each
1. Bicep curls
2. Triceps curls
3. Shoulder press
4. Concentration curls
5. Serve platter
6. Triceps dips
7. Tricep kickbacks
8. Back tricep pulse
9. Shoulder pulse
10. Raised curls
11. Lateral raise
12. Front raise

Abs 1 round, 30s each
1. Front sit up hyperextension bench
2. L side sit up ^
3. R side sit up ^
4. Roman twists
5. Pilates 100
6. Front plank
7. R side plank
8. L side plank
9. R love handle side bend
10. L love handle side bend

I am finally noticing a difference and so are others. I’m the type that sticks to what works ad nausea. My question is does anyone have any improvements or recommendations? I increase weight sizes every few weeks when they become easy. I’m also considering longer runs as those are surprisingly for me becoming easy as well.

My goal is to lose weight (need to lose 30lbs) while toning. Edit: removed bulk up, I know that’s not going to happen.

CC welcome!

Edit: 28F 165lbs. Goal: 130lbs.

@mtnpinelady There's no leg, chest, back work and only two shoulder exercises.

If you want to lose weight you need to eat at a deficit, and "bulking up" isn't going to happen.

@mtnpinelady Glad it's working for you so far. There is a lot I can say here but I'll start with this:

- Why no squats, lunges, deadlifts, push ups or pull ups (or rows or band pulls or whatever)? Training the bigger muscles are better bang for your buck.

-Weight training will not make you bulk up and in fact, will give you the results you're looking for in a much faster and more efficient manner.

- "I’m the type that sticks to what works ad nausea." - I admire your work ethic however many programs work until they no longer work, and sometimes that's because of an overtraining via repetition of the exact same movement patterns with very little variation. Try adding in some of the following: Glute bridges, dead bugs, RKC planks, Palloff press and side lunges, so you can train in various planes.

- The stairbeast isn't as effective for your legs as squats, lunges, weighted step ups or any type of higher load/less repetition movements.

-You really, really won't bulk up. Women train for years lifting the heaviest weights possible in the hopes to gain the smallest amount of muscle.

@leoser This makes sense, thank you for the feedback. My ass is always sooo sore after the stair master I assumed it was a good way to keep it firm and work out my gluteus. That’s why I’m here :)

So maybe I’ll replace that with a routine of what everyone is saying:

Different forms of squats, lunges and resistance bands.

Any feed back on circuit times vs number of reps?

@dawn16 This x 1000. Squat, deadlift, bench, OHP are going to give you far more in the way of building/retaining muscle and shaping your physique than isolation exercises alone.

From someone that started lifting heavy for the first time almost exactly 1 year ago, it's completely transformed my body.

Keep protein high, eat in a deficit and lift heavy. You will lose fat and retain muscle (the vast majority). You will not look 'bulky'.

Back