Newbie overwhelmed with conflicting info

richardsanc

Hoping this is the place for this question:

New to weights, 42/M, would love feedback on this basic routine I’ve built and how to improve. I’m too poor for a PT, but do have a power rack, about 210lbs of bumper plates, some Dumbells, a lat machine on the rack, a bench, and a preacher curl bench (got a good deal on all at an estate sale.)

Feeling overwhelmed with all the information out there. Seems I can find conflicting info on everything, absolutely everything. To be succinct, I guess I’m going for hypertrophy - but more so, keeping myself humble, no ego lifting, doing my best to be smart and ease into things.

Would love feedback on my routine outline so far.

Using Hevy app. Sees good for my budget.

Routine 1

Routine 2

I’ve been going two days on, one day off. Rinse repeat.

Thank you in advance for your time and kindness.

@richardsanc I’ve been working out for a few months now and I’ve understood the basics. Here are some tips that might help but I’m not an expert:
  1. Eat more calories (surplus) for weight gain, eat less calories (deficit) for weight loss. Try to maximise protein to build muscle and try to stay away from unhealthy fats.
  2. If you feel like you need to rest, then do so but stick to the days you have on your routine.
  3. Watch some YouTube videos, try things and see if they work. Don’t be afraid to add or takeout exercises that you don’t feel are working.
A YouTuber I would recommend is Joe Fazer. He helped me understand a lot about working out and I still use the routine he recommend which is a full body workout, Monday - Wednesday - Friday with weekends for rest. Feel free to message me and I’ll send you the routine I use, which is quite similar to yours. Good luck!

Back