Newbie Seeking Fitness and Nutrition Guidance, 21M 60kg

rosepetel

Hello everyone,

21M, 60kg, skinny. I'm planning to start my fitness journey.However, I'm a complete novice and could really use some guidance from y’ll. I've compiled a list of questions and would appreciate any insights or advice you can offer.
  1. According to my calculations using a online calculator, my estimated calorie intake is 2400cal. i have chosen my activity level = active. because i walk a lot and been doing some bodyweight exercises lately. Should I start bulking? If so, what's the recommended rate of increasing my daily calorie intake? Would 100cal/week be appropriate, or do you have other suggestions?
  2. I’m clueless about nutrition and exercises, and i can't afford a personal trainer. Can anyone recommend some reliable resources—be it websites, books, or YouTube channels—that can help me educate myself on these topics?
  3. I want to prepare my own diet plan from scratch. Aside from managing macros, what other micronutrients and minerals should I ensure are included in my diet for overall health and fitness?
  4. As a newbie, I'm overwhelmed by the vast number of workout routines available online. How do I decide which one is worth following? Are there specific metrics or criteria I should look for when evaluating a routine's effectiveness?
P.S : I'm planning to compile the insights I gather in this post into a guide that could potentially benefit other beginners like myself. Thank you in advance for your help and support!

@rosepetel Start lean bulking. Eat at around 300 calories a day surplus to gain mass. Experiment with how much weight you're gaining and play around with the calories. Try to eat mostly healthy. If you can't hit your daily calory goal, then try adding some junk in.

For nutrition and exercises try Renaissance Periodization and Jeff Nippard. Both of 'em are extremely qualified to talk about this. To give you a brief. Your protein will help in muscle synthesis and muscle retention while the carbs will provide the energy to initiate the process. You'll anyways get fats from food. So focus on getting atleast 1.3-1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight to maximize muscle gains.

Focus on calories, proteins, fats, carbs and fiber down your body. Especially fiber if you're eating protein dense foods.

You generally have workout routines like Upper Body/Lower Body, PPL, Bro split, etc. Ideally you should try Upper Body/Lower body to acclimatize yourself and then progress to more advanced lifts later on. Renaissance Periodization covers program evaluation in depth. I'll share some sample links below.

Beginner mistakes in the gym:

Best bodybuilding split::

Building your first program:

Choosing healthier food options:

Back