Only S&S?

@joellemarie197 I just don't like the idea of a workout that involves only two exercises. I'm sure it works for some people, but I think it might also lead to imbalances and weak areas for lots of others. I also find that doing lots and lots of swings without mixing in lunges, squats, and deadlifts gave me very tight hips.

And that's basically what I recommend: swings, goblet squats, sumo squats, lunges, deadlift, situps, reverse situps, weighted twists, pushups, bent over rows, upright rows, and clean and press.

I've been doing 30 rep single sets of everything above (50 for pushups) for two years, and it's been working for me. I've done 3x10 and 5x5 in the past with heavier barbells and dumbbells, but the time investment, especially after adding cardio, is tedious and impractical for a busy life. The 30 rep thing I'm on is quick and isn't boring, and for me at least seems to be a nice balance of cardio/strength load matching. The high volume lifting has, contrary to all the gym bro logic I learned in my teens and twenties, given me the best gains of my life. I went from 140 lbs and being relatively out of shape after an injury recovery (I still looked "athletic" but my performance was terrible compared to a year before getting hurt) to being 185 and feeling stronger than I've ever been in my life.

Just the other day I had to move my 3500 W generator, I can distinctly remember being a very fit MMA and weight training 25 yo that used to struggle to lift and move that thing, but now as a 37 year old kettlebell dad, I just picked it up and walked out to the truck then from the truck to its destination like I would with groceries, with basement stairwells up and down and gates to open one handed to boot. Felt good to show up my younger self 😂

@joellemarie197 If you did swings and TGUs twice a week, then presses and front squats twice a week, you’d be following Mark Wildman’s first example on his Tetris of Training video. That’s something decent that lets you work on technique but do more exercises than just TGU and swing. I started with that before moving to more of Neupert’s programming.

There really are unlimited options

Back