Out of town during deload week. Should I just rest or find a gym?

tjmorton

I’m going to be out of town for 5 days that coincide with my scheduled deload week.

Do you think it makes much of a difference if I don’t lift on 2 of those days that I would be normally going to the gym, and instead do some light active recovery?

Or should I pay for day passes and lift lighter?

I’m 55m and have been lifting steadily for 10 months.

@tjmorton I suppose it depends on how intense and short term your goals are... but long walks around where you will be, maybe hit a park and do those outdoor calisthenics circuits most parks have now... rent a bike and go on some trail rides or hike if that is available... I'd enjoy your week away... you may even find you'll come back more excited to get back to it.

Seems like I'm good for a week away from my regular workouts every few months. I like the other stuff I find and I like coming back. Good luck!

@windabladesquire Thanks.
I’ve only done one deload week so far, about 8 weeks ago, and I’m not sure that I necessarily felt any benefit.
Resuming the following week felt more challenging.
My goal is hypertrophy, but I have a shoulder injury that’s making my progress pretty slow and a bit frustrating. Additionally, I have another 15 lbs to cut (after losing 50.)

@tjmorton I'd take lots of chances to compliment yourself on how far you've come. Congrats! It's not easy. But movement is medicine... and if were lucky we got another half of life to keep moving.