Overcoming body dysmorphia?

mrseedsower

Any anecdotal advice on how to manage body dysmorphia? I’m a 26M that has a well developed physique, specifically upper body. I’ve worked tremendously hard to get to where I am and boosting up weak points, but for some reason my mind just hyper focuses on what’s not the best

For instance, I think I have strengths in my chest and back, but I have relatively smaller arms and don’t walk around with a 6 pack year round. I find whenever I’m looking at myslef it’s just looking at my waist.

It makes me sad since I was on a hike with some buddies the other day and they wanted to take a shirtless picture and I felt uncomfortable so just took it w my shirt on

I’m never gonna be the biggest, leanest, or strongest, but I just want to learn to appreciate my own progress

@mrseedsower I'd classify this as more being overly critical of yourself. Someone who is truly body dysmorphic wouldn't typically describe their body with "...a well developed physique, specifically upper body" type of language. They would more likely claim they had made no gains and were much smaller than they are in reality. The other side of that coin, and we see it a LOT around here, are little guys who think they are much bigger than they are or the occasional "I'm 15% bodyfat" when their pics show more like mid 30's. ;)

Anyhow - getting abs and working on your waist are something you can easily address if it's important to you. You did say that you worked hard at "boosting up weak points" - so maybe, it's time to focus on the ones that are currently bothering you.

@mrseedsower You'll never be as big as your pump. For real though, if you think it's affecting your wellbeing then it's certainly beyond reddit's scope of practice. You should talk to a therapist.

@mrseedsower Something I realised after seeing a lot of physiques (curiously not talked about often) is that us naturals WILL have smaller looking arms compared to juiced ones. We can develop really big chest and backs, but not.arms.
Stay away from social media or at least internalize that even roided guys WILL take advantage of lighting, angles and pump.
I'm sure you're comparing yourself to them. Your cure for body dismorphia is going outside. The average Joe physique is atrocious compared to someone who lifts seriously.

@mrseedsower Ooof, this is tricky because a key component to fitness is benign able to evaluate yourself honestly. It’s so easy to lose perspective when the changes are gradual and you’re inside your own head too much. All I can suggest is to look at old photos and try on old clothes to get a reality check as to how far you’ve come.

Good luck!

@mrseedsower Realize the process of becoming more fit is the reward in itself. Otherwise you can always find a new “end” reward to measure yourself against and never be happy.

@mrseedsower Realize the process of becoming more fit is the reward in itself. Otherwise you can always find a new “end” reward to measure yourself against and never be happy.

@mrseedsower Sometimes you just gotta be happy with your progress and remember where you came from looking back at old pictures could help you overcome it with seeing how much progress you have made. Also do not look at these fitness influencers on social media most of there pictures and videos are edited and photoshopped.