overtraining impacting results

@luke2334janel I been working out almost 2 years. Last I did barbell bench I did 165x7. Currently doing 2 sets of 60x12 and 1 60x11 dumbbell.

But but but I am still a fat dude. 5'11 and 232 this morning. I was 320. So I went on a huge bulk before and you are much leaner than me.

I also read 2 plates is rare in gyms, I only work out at home but reddit and ticktock Facebook etc can mess with your mind. All these dudes benching 400 like no big deal.

@luke2334janel Do you deload? I'm in my 40's and I notice after 4 weeks of working out 4 days a week I will be much more tired after my workouts and recovery is harder. I typically go 4-6 weeks then take a week off. More often 4 weeks. I read, doing less volume vs no volume was basically the same so I just rest on my deload weeks. Could be as simple as that. Maybe you need some rest.

Who knows I am a beginner.

@luke2334janel I'm ngl that's not good for 5 years. I've trained for 1 year and got to a 185 bench at 26, about to be 27 in a month. I mean bro even my numbers feel terrible I've seen kids in my gym bench 225 who look 16 and don't even look big.

@luke2334janel I worked out semi-consistently throughout most of college with periods of intense focus and periods of not so much, and it also took me like 5-6 years to get to your numbers. My numbers peaked (reps with two plates) around 2016 when I was taking it the most seriously, then completely fell off a cliff and training got very deprioritized. Started back up again January last year, and just two weeks ago at 33 I beat my previous PRs for the first time in almost 7 years. Anyway, keep it up man!

@earnest1018 At that weight you would need to have a 385 deadlift to qualify for teen nationals in the USAPL.

Please post video of your lifts, I got to see this. If these are legit you could be next phenom power lifter.

@itsjoseph For reference, a 575 pound squat would be around the ~150th heaviest raw squat done in a comp at his age and weight class. Very impressive. OP could use a powerlifting coach to set a local record somewhere, and definitely doesn't need advice from this subreddit lol

@clertole Guessing his squat has about 5 inches of total ROM

People who can legit squat 570 aren't training to failure every session like OP claims

@earnest1018 Progression will stall and after about two years a big drop happens, it is normal. This drop is usualy what motivates people to start gear usage.

When it comes to overtraining you will notice if you overtrain. Hovewer different people get different symptoms. For me first my hands and forearms starts aching, second i will feel tired (wake up tired and go to bed tired), third my throat gets sore and fourth i become sick. Having some light symptoms of overtraining is fine, but it is hard to balance and it is safer to keep some margin. Also, always remember to eat healthy, sleep well and enjoy life.

@earnest1018 Your lifts are stalling because you're at an advanced stage, and it gets progressively harder to increase numbers.

Unless you find yourself regressing, being irritable, tired all the time and having brain fog, you're not overtraining.

@earnest1018 If you’ve been training only for 2 years, you don’t need to worry about “weak points”. You should be worried about putting on as much muscle as possible.

As for overtraining, if you logbook your sessions and your numbers are going up, you’re not overtraining. Even if numbers aren’t going up, it could potentially just be an issue of not sleeping or eating enough.

@earnest1018 You're hitting numbers some people spent their whole "lifting career" to get to. There's nothing to worry about. As others say, you've got to the point now where progress will come slower.

If you're overtraining, you'll feel like you have been hit by a truck and won't even want to lift.

Back