Part 1 of my experiment with 'low carb'

beblessed

So I am a 5 ft 4.5 in female who is in pretty decent shape. I hold my weight in my butt/thighs and wanted to try an experiment to see if doing 'low carb' might make a difference.

Some background about me and my habits. I don't really believe in major deficit eating. I stick to ~1800 cal a day ; usually 115 g protein, 40g fat and everything else carb. I workout usually 6 days a week. 3 days dedicated to strength and 3 days dedicated to cardio.

I've done this general plan for a longtime now and have built up a decent muscular base while reducing fat so it works for me.

However, I've been reading around that low carb maybe can help people cut more fat especially in areas that they previously thought were stubborn. After alot or research, I decided that keto was too low for me (I would be unhappy with the foods I would have to give up and with the foods I would have to eat to maintain my calories). So I looked further into low carb (defined as

@beblessed Yeah I see a big difference too!

I tried keto from March 11-April 15 and I haven't seen anywhere near as good results! I don't think. Actually maybe I should take pictures? Inches/scale/calipers haven't really moved.

@beblessed I see a HUGE difference in your pics. I may have to try limiting my carbs a bit, but that won't be easy because the house I live in is filled with carb heavy food, but I can at least try! I have a lot of stubborn fat that will not leave. Like you, I'm pear-shaped and the bulk of my fat is in my hips, thighs and bum.

@dawn16 I was going to say this, too! I absolutely believe from the pictures that she lost seven inches, holy cow!

I'm also pear shaped, and a few weeks into a not-very-strict low carb experiment. I think I'm going to tweak my macros (increase my protein by a lot), commit a bit harder, and see how it goes. This is incredibly inspirational.

@beblessed While I'm excited for you, I'm pissed that I'm probably going to have to do this. You have the same type of body as me. Except my ass is massive at 38.5 inches compared to my waist which is 24.5 inches.

I love toast dammit!

@beblessed Like the concept, people certainly do see different results due to different ways of doing calories (individual metabolisms and body preferences), but remember in the end it is calories in vs calories out, and the ratio of those calories has fairly little to do with it (provided you aren't sitting on some extreme like all fat or all carbs). Also, remember that sadly, we cannot spot reduce, no matter our diet, or how much we wish we could. Just have to lose fat everywhere to lose fat in our "stubborn areas"

@imreader I sort of disagree with this as well. The macronutrients you eat can affect you vastly differently in terms of calories. This link summed it up nicely for me. Eating lots of sugar and carbohydrates affects your insulin activity which in turn affects fat storage, and prevents use of fat for fuel. I'd argue that eating 1500 calories a day of a heavy carbohydrate diet will can to significantly different body composition than 1500 calories a day of fat/protein. Insulin as a hormone plays an important role in how fat is stored, used, and lost.

However I do agree on the aspect relating to the calorie number that is taken in. If you're eating too much, regardless of the type of food, you'll gain weight .

@mbgg Yes, there is a difference between all 1500 calories of one nutrient and all of another (as I said before, unless you are at an extreme like this, the effect will be minimal). However, it has been proven time and again that the body adapts to various levels of nutrients, and will merely convert processes in order to continue obtaining the energy it needs. During the ketogenic diet, your bodydoes not have any improved ability to burn body fat and aid in weight loss over a more conventional diet, as seen in this meta analysis of the research done: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/re...c-low-carbohydrate-diets-research-review.html.

There has yet to be a proven diet which has preferentially caused weight loss or shown better weight loss than traditional diets, which makes sense, because in the end, the body is very complex and able to adapt quite easily, so as long as you are eating less than you need, your body will lose fat. The ratios are irrelevant, and as long as you get enough protein to maintain muscle, fat to maintain hormone levels, and fill the rest with whatever you want, you will lose weight.

@imreader I guess I kind of have to disagree with the calories in vs calories out comment. That is too simplistic for how the human body works. Sure that plays a huge role in if you are trying to lose weight. But macronutrients, micronutrients, hormones, drugs, general body condition, etc also play an important role in how your body utilizes the energy you give it to perform the functions you want it to perform. I think every person who has a fitness or weight loss goal has to consider these other factors (unique to that individual) ontop of calories in/calories out might be affecting the goal they are trying to achieve.

@beblessed True, those other factors do play a role, but in the end, you cannot ignore thermodynamics. Calories in v. calories out will determine weight loss. It has been shown time and time again, there is not way for the human body to just violate that. Perhaps synthetically you might, but I doubt that is the situation.

Yes, the human body is very complex, and those factors you mention do play a small role, but most of them you cant control anyway (for example hormones and metabolism) and thus there is little need to be concerned.

Each individual is unique, yes, but they all process the nutrients the same. Some individuals do better with various nutrients, but in the end all that does is allow the individual to feel better, not change how the human body works. For example one individual may do better on more fat, but this does not let the individual eat over his or her metabolic maintenance level and still lose weight. Basic physiology remains the same, and the body compensates when the nutrients change anyways, ending in the same goal.

Back