Please critique my workout routine

cerddoriaeth

Here's my 5-day workout routine for you:

Day 1: Upper Body Strength & Cardio
  1. Warm-up: 10 minutes of light cardio (jogging or brisk walking).
  2. Bench Press: 4 sets x 8 reps
  3. Dumbbell Rows: 4 sets x 8 reps (each arm)
  4. Overhead Shoulder Press: 3 sets x 10 reps
  5. Bicep Curls: 3 sets x 12 reps
  6. Tricep Dips: 3 sets x 12 reps
  7. Cardio: 20 minutes of HIIT (e.g., 30 sec sprint, 1 min walk)
Day 2: Lower Body Strength
  1. Warm-up: 10 minutes of light cardio.
  2. Squats: 4 sets x 8 reps
  3. Deadlifts: 3 sets x 6 reps
  4. Lunges: 3 sets x 10 reps (each leg)
  5. Leg Curls: 3 sets x 12 reps
  6. Calf Raises: 3 sets x 15 reps
  7. Stretch: Focus especially on the legs and hips.
Day 3: Cardio & Core
  2. HIIT: 20 minutes (e.g., jump rope, burpees, mountain climbers)
  3. Planks: 3 sets x 45 sec
  4. Russian Twists: 3 sets x 20 reps (each side)
  5. Leg Raises: 3 sets x 15 reps
  6. Bicycle Crunches: 3 sets x 20 reps
Day 4: Rest or Active Recovery
  • This could involve light activities like walking, cycling, or swimming.
Day 5: Full-Body Strength & Cardio
  2. Pull-Ups/Assisted Pull-Ups: 3 sets x 8 reps
  3. Push-Ups: 3 sets x 15 reps
  4. Dumbbell Squat Press: 3 sets x 10 reps
  5. Dumbbell Deadlift High Pull: 3 sets x 10 reps
  6. Cardio: 30 minutes of moderate-intensity, steady-state cardio (like jogging or cycling).

@cerddoriaeth It depends on what your goals are, and what specifically you do for a warm-up. The order of operations with exercise should be as follows:

Defined goal

Macro Selection

Exercise selection

Planned rest day

You have a planned rest day but your training days only go to 5? Do you take the weekends off or restart at 5 then go 1-4? Seems confusing. Also I wouldn't recommend doing cardio as the warm-up unless the goal of the day is cardio specifically. Sports specific warm-ups are a better way to reduce the risk of injury, and you'll see better performance.

@zerokdegree My goals are to get a six pack. I estimate my existing body fat percentage as under 20%. The plan was to rotate day 1 to 5 and on day 6 I would start back as day 1 again. Planned rest day is according to how I feel and also my Garmin watch tracks recovery. But at least one day a week off and another day of light workout.

@cerddoriaeth Bro you can get a six-pack by going in a negative caloric diet with some minor ab work. If the goal is just a six-pack then everything in this workout is completely unnecessary .

@cerddoriaeth sweet, exercising means you get to eat more anyway and will look better. just eat as clean as possible, smash your workouts, and get lots of steps in. the stronger you get the more calories your body will consume.

@cerddoriaeth It's good . You don't really need a whole day for Ab training . In my opinion keep a couple ab exercises and add some dynamic effort squats , presses or some plyometrics/explosive movements,or do some other activity.

@cerddoriaeth How’s it working for you?

I don’t see relative intensity markers (how close each set is taken to failure), or rep ranges for your movements. Was this for brevity?

I would flip that cardio split (more moderate steady state, less hiit)

I would split the day 2 leg training over two or more days.

@amn Although I have worked out my whole life, I never really followed a routine like this. I find it very efficient to have a routine at the gym where all exercises are pre planned. I wanted to get feedback about it and make the necessary adjustments.

I track my workout (exercise, reps, sets, weight) with my Garmin watch and I plan to progressively overload. And I keep a consistent rest between sets of 60-90 seconds (depending on the exercise).

My legs did get extremely sore on that workout day so I see your point about splitting it up. Also, I wanted to add more runs in the mix to maximize on cardio.

My goals are to have a six pack. Diet is being tracked on myfitnesspal and I am maintaining a deficit. And my Garmin watch tracks calories burned. But I don't want any muscle imbalances and I don't want to lose muscle mass, just fat.

@cerddoriaeth Having a workout plan is pretty important -- this is a great start.

I think your general approach here is fine. For most people I like to organize training in the most time-efficient way possible, and usually with a higher frequency -- spreading upper and lower work out over multiple days. And your plan does have some of that going on already.

As you noted, you did get very sore from Day 2. And you do have some leg training on Day 5, but it won't likely be stimulative in the way you'd want for your lower body (squat and then press, and deadlift and high-pull). I would count these as upper body training. The weights are necessarily going to be really really light in order for you to pull and press (not a slight on you, this is how it is for everyone). So as they are now, these are basically just upper body movements with a dynamic (but not very stimulative) movement in the lower body. It could even be a bit worse than not stimulative for the lower body -- because the deadlift and squat parts will fatigue you systemically, and might make you get fewer reps of the high pull and the press.

If I were to rewrite your Day 5, I would go with something like:

Terms RPE - 1-10 scale, Rate of Perceived Exertion - in resistance training it means reps in reserve. So RPE 10 = 0 reps in reserve, RPE 9 - 1 rep in reserve, RPE 8 - 2 reps in reserve, etc....

Warm-up: dynamic warmup as needed, but you'll get plenty of warm-up from the movements themselves, take at least 2-4 warm-up sets of the first two movements, 1-3 for the rest.
  • 2-3 sets of Barbell Squats 5-8 reps 6-7 RPE (aka 3 or 4 Reps in Reserve) (or Leg Press 8-12 reps at 7 RPE )
  • superset with:
  • 2-3 sets of Pull-ups (assisted) - 10-15 reps, at RPE 8
  • 2-3 sets of Barbell Deadlifts (or trap bar) - 5-8 reps, at RPE 6-7
  • superset with
  • 2-3 sets of Push-ups to RPE 8-10. Don't cheat the form, touch your chest to the ground on every rep. Pause at the bottom, but don't relax on the floor, to really milk it out.
If you like push-ups you can also do multiple approaches to failure per primary set. So go to failure, rest 10-15 seconds, do another mini set to get a few more reps -- it's called a "rest pause set". I'd suggest just doing 1 rest pause set, for each primary set.

And if that's not enough training for Day 5, you could add the 5th and 6th exercises as a superset as well:
  • 2-3 sets of Barbell Incline Bench 5-8 reps @ 6-8 RPE (or Incline Dumbbell Bench 8-12 reps @ 8RPE)
  • superset with
  • 2-3 sets of Dumbbell Upright Row 8-12 reps @ 8 RPE (or Lateral Raises 10-15 @ 8RPE)
So you already overhead press on Day 1, so not sure you need another slot. I would suggest working in some incline benching instead of a second overhead.

Cardio: keep the same

You could also use rest-pause for pull-ups, as a way to hammer in more volume in a time-efficient way. There's a good chance your upper body can handle more volume than your lower body, so this rest-pause technique won't be as necessary or common in your lower body training -- e.g. I wouldn't bother trying to rest pause on barbell back squat or barbell deadlifts for example, they're usually too fatiguing and you need more time to recover, especially in the lower rep ranges.

I wrote a few different RPEs here. The heavier barbell stuff I tend to stay further away from failure, at least in week 1. But I think you can work these all up to RPE 8, and for things like assisted pull-ups, lateral raises, push-ups, you can probably take these to RPE 9-10 with good results.

If you have any questions, let me know.

@cerddoriaeth ... I'd probably move lunges and calves to Day 3, and move that cardio to the end of Day 3. You can keep this as HIIT if you want, but switching to moderate steady state here could be beneficial to progress with more conditioning volume (time).

And then I'd probably swap Day 1 and Day 2. So that puts your leg training on 3 days, spread out by 1 day rest, (Day 1, Day 3, Day 5) and puts a more even rest time between your upper body training days: Day 2 and Day 5.

And then when you're ready to add another cardio session, you could do tack on a moderate intensity steady state to the end of Day 1, or add Day 6 cardio.

Regarding nutrition (6 pack), if you can spare the money, MacroFactor is the best app for that. Totally worth it IMO.

@cerddoriaeth If you like to warm up for 10 minutes or feel like its helpful, then go right ahead, but there's nothing special about 10 minutes. Personally, I feel like that's way too long. The idea is just to raise your body temp and get your blood moving. That could take 1 minute. Try 5 minutes and see if that works for you.

Take the time you save on your warm up and do 1 ab exercise 2 or 3 times per week and cut the ab-focused day. Also, if you're able to do a set of abs for 15 reps--you should add weight. Abs are like anything else--you should be failing on the last 2 or 3 sets/not getting the same rep count. Do things like decline crunches with a weight behind your head. Do the ab wheel (use regressions cause its hard). Leg raises are good (but add weight eventually). Bicycle crunches are hard to overload and not great anyway.

Your leg day looks brutal. If you're really pushing your squats and deadlifts heavy, very tough to do them on the same day and not destroy your lower back. I would split em up. Move the deadlift and another hamstring-focusted movement to the open slot in day 4 (assuming you've spread your abs over the course of the week.

Of course these are just suggestions--you could just run this for a few months and see how it feels and adjust.

Good luck!

@itrm Thabk you. I appreciate that. I need the Cardio for losing fat and heart health. Currently at 20% body fat.

Ya leg day was brutal, next day was very sore... I will lighten the load a bit that day.

@cerddoriaeth Since you seem open to suggestion--and I'm sure I'm not the first person to tell you this--but cardio isn't all that great for fat loss. It's awesome on many levels--obviously good for your cardiovascular system, a great way to help with recovery as well (in reasonable doses) and generally good times for those who like it. But as a fat loss modality--much less effective than advertised.

@itrm Doesn't it depend on the intensity of the run? I know technically fat loss comes down to a calorie deficit. And strength training burns calories post workout. But steady runs and HIIT runs do burn a lot of calories according to my Garmin watch. But ultimately, it all comes down to a calorie deficit. Thoughts?

@cerddoriaeth A couple of things. First, the trackers are inaccurate. I'll leave it at that.

Second, yes intensity matters, but maintaining high intensity for extended periods of time is not really possible for anyone but highly trained athletes. Even then, for the numbers/calories burned to add up to anything meaningful, you will have to do very intense difficult cardio sessions at least 5-6 times a week. That is not sustainable. Also, as I'll explain below, calorie burning is not purely additive.

Third, the post-training "afterburn" thing is only sort of true. Yes it exists, but its transitory and not acute. Burning an extra 5-10 calories over the span of several hours isn't meaningful and, as I noted, calorie burn isn't purely additive.

So this is the one people get hung up the most--calorie burn being not being purely additive. Let's say you do cardio a few times a week and let's assume that you burn 300 calories a session. In a very short period of time, however, your body will adapt to this extra calorie burn by downregulating your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT). Together with the thermic effect of food, BMR and NEAT account for the vast majority of your caloric burn--like 80% or more so there's plenty for your body to play with. So how much is the adaptation? It could be anywhere from 10% to 90% based on individual variability---but the research out there says the average number is around 33%. So what does this mean? Well, your BMR--lets say its 1600 calories--will drop to about 1500, so your 300 calorie burn nets out to about 200. If you're already in a calorie defecit based on your diet--this will further enhance the downregulation of BMR/NEAT, triggering an an average 50% plus reduction in your expected calorie burn.

So all this stuff in combination makes cardio not that effective. Even if you're able to consistently "burn" an extra 500-600 calories a day (which is really hard to do) its very likely that this number will be reduced down to 250-300. That's about a handful of cashews or like one spoonful of peanut butter. This is why projected weight loss from activity pretty much never reflects what actually happens.

People tend to push back on the idea that calorie burn isn't purely additive--but it shouldn't be hard to accept. You lift weights to trigger an adaptation that your body thinks is beneficial--i.e., add muscle mass because apparently you need it to lift things. When you increase your calorie burn by exercising, it triggers a different adaptation--the preservation of energy/resources through the lowering of BMR/NEAT. This makes sense because for 99% of human history, calories/energy were very scarce. Some people will tell you that exercising "increases" metabolism somehow, further confusing the issue. This is nonsensical because no organism is going to "adapt" to the stress of extra energy expenditure by further increasing the depletion of the scarce resource of energy--of course its going to find a way to try and preserve it. For the same reason, if you gain muscle mass by lifting weight, at least some of that muscle mass will melt away if you completely stop lifting weights--why does your body need to commit extra resources to maintaining that extra mass if you're not using it?

Sorry if you actually read all that crap. Just trying to drive home the point that diet is the key to weight loss and that a lot of weight loss dogma is not grounded in reality.

Back