Preparing for my first DEXA scan

prayforgaza

I’m thinking of getting a DEXA scan, because of my age and health history. I’m doing so on the recommendation and advice of longevity expert Dr. Peter Attia who thinks it’s important for everyone to have a baseline for bone density, muscle mass, amount of visceral fat, etc. The intent is to be able to predict and track your health over time compared to yourself, not others. (Also to see how well your exercise plan is working for you.)

I’m going to a local imaging center that is affiliated with my md’s practice. (When you’re playing with x-rays and radiation, it’s best to go to the pros.) Th e scan price includes a consultation and interpretation of the results with a md or dietician. The cost may be covered by insurance because of my health history. , but I’d pay out of pocket even if it wasn’t.

Who has had the scan and what was your experience?

@prayforgaza I just got mine done and I’m going to have my 3rd meeting with my health coach (dietitian/personal trainer) on Monday. Totally worth it. My body is a dumpster fire though, I have such a long way to go, but I’m making changes! My endocrinologist had me do it through her practice to help me get my weight down farther after I lost 45 pounds on my own.

@prayforgaza I love doing them! orange theory used to do them at the beginning of a 8 week challenge and it’s fun to see how high protein and lifting heavy made the biggest difference in body fat %. I also had a local supplements store have one in store that I’d use occasionally