Preventing Bacne

jackwoo

I like to shower at home instead of the gym but that extra 5-10 minutes in my sweaty clothes definitely doesn’t help with body acne. I’ve been using Garnier Micellar Makeup Removing wipes when I’m done working out to just wipe down my back and chest, it works okay but I’m wondering if anyone has anything better that they use in between working out and showering.

@jackwoo There’s an over the counter benzoyl peroxide wash called Pan Oxyl that you use in the shower that works wonders. Additionally, make sure when you get out of the shower you’re not letting your freshly conditioned wet hair lay on your back! Either dry it immediately or put it up!

@jackwoo I am going through the same exact issue right now. I found that taking showers right when I get home, or at a minimum changing my top asap helps. Also, I have been using the Stridex pads post workout and at night. AND what I think has helped the most is that Aztec clay mask (on my back). Yes, its a pain and its time consuming but that stuff works miracles.

@jackwoo Neutrogena has their Body Clear body wash that has salicylic acid. I have been using it and it has been great and no bleaching any clothes. I use it with a soft bristle brush on a handle so I can get all the hard to reach areas.

@jackwoo I wear open backed singlets and rarely have issues with acne.

I do drink 3-4L of water a day though which I find majorly helps with my skin. I start to break out if I’m not drinking enough water.

@jackwoo Stridex wipes. Salycylic acid but no alcohol and a change your shirt and sports bra asap. That helps if you have to wait a little while for a shower. Also when washing your hair do not rinse conditioner so it runs down your back it can cause more congestion to blocked pores. Yes rinsing with your head forward gets you a mouth full of conditioner water so close your eyes and mouth (from experience conditioner tastes dreadful)

@jackwoo This is gonna sound weird but I used to have bad acne-type bumps on my upper back and chest, they didn't hurt as bad as acne but they did have a whitehead, inflammation and such. Mine didn't start to go away until I troubleshooted my diet. Maybe experiment with elimination of certain foods and see if that helps? I was super skeptical about it but I've always been allergic to a LOT of things so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility for me. I also have pretty eczema prone skin so it's just sensitive in general. Good luck!

@jackwoo Everything above (except yes, benzoyl peroxide will definitely bleach clothes so if you use it, only use it at night) But also make sure you're washing your bras on a regular basis! I get lazy about washing mine sometimes and it definitely makes things a lot worse! (Talking regular bras, hopefully you already wash your sports bras after each use! lol)

@jackwoo Make sure you're changing your sheets weekly, too. I was surprised how much my back cleared up when I stopped being such a lazy ass and changing them more often. Same with my face and pillowcase!

@jackwoo In addition to Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic acid (like those oxo rounds) Try tea tree oil body washes! i use the body shop tea tree face cleanser on my body to prevent chest acne.

@jackwoo I use one of those back scrubber brushes with a bit of my regular body wash and it keeps my bacne pretty much at bay. Just make sure you do it as your final step after you’ve rinsed out all hair product.

@jackwoo Find something with salicylic acid/ benzoyl peroxide in it!

The main issue isn't that the few hours that you're spending in sweaty gym clothes (although it probably does contribute a bit), but that your sebaceous glands are over-producing sebum which then builds up and clogs the pore.

Both salicyclic and BP act to break down the keratin plugs formed, thus allowing your glands to drain freely onto the surface of the skin.

Hope that helps!

@dawn16 Careful with BP if you're putting it on a damp/dressed body. It'll bleach everything in sight. I shower at the gym using Neutrogena body clear body scrub with 2% salicylic which does the trick. Using this at home would help but for that interim step LRP serozinc spray is good. The zinc is anti-bac and anti- fungal and cuts oil a little bit.

I just received sweatWELLth power shower spray in the mail for occasions like OP describes. I haven't tried it yet but it's designed for when you've worked out and can't shower

Absolutely second that. Also try to use a body wash without SLS so your skin isn't aggravated unnecessarily.

I'd also look into using a different shampoo/conditioner because you may react to them. I just recently used a conditioner that came with my hair dye and my whole neck was covered in bumps even though I took care to wash it off AND use shower gel afterwards

Back