Program Advice w/o Double Kettlebell Press due to shoulder instability

gmtworldwide

tl,dr: looking for program advice for strength + conditioning that has some built-in progression scheme, does not use double kettlebell press (single arm press is fine) and allows to fit in some deadlifts, pull-ups and bench press

Hi there,

from August to mid December I was running The Giant 3.0 to 1.2 with double 16s and I liked it pretty much for the simplicity and especially that gains around the shoulders and neck. However, during 1.2 I recognized some snapping in my right shoulder every 3 to 4 presses that did not cause any pain. Of course, I ignored them until one day, where I wanted to stand up from the floor using my right arm. It felt like my whole upper arm and shoulder was getting tight from the neck to the elbow within a few seconds . I could not move my arm overhead or to the site without pain in my triceps and the shoulder joint. There was no snapping or popping before my arm got tight, so I do not think that I have torn something.

Over the last couple of weeks, I could completely relief the pain with trigger point treatment of my rotator cuff (especially infra- and supraspinatus, teres minor) and stretching my neck and shoulder joints. I could do push-ups, bench press and dips pretty much after 2 weeks of that treament. So, I think the pain was due to a tension in my shoulder muscles caused by overtraining/incorrect technique.

Right now, I am able to do single arm press with the 20 kg bell for 5 reps without any pain or snapping. I recognized that I was pressing the bells up with too much invert rotation of my forearm. I think that this might have caused the tension in my shoulder (of course plus the high general volume of presses during the giant). Keeping the forearm more straight I do not have any problems with single arm press. However, when using double kettlebells I have that snapping in my shoulder again even though I try to keep my forearm as vertical as possible. I try strengthening my shoulders with halos, windmills, TGU and some resistance band stuff for the rotator cuff.

Since I like the idea of double kettlebell training for building strength, I like to keep double kettlebells for FSQ and Cleans. I also would like to stick to program that focuses on strength building and also a bit of conditioning. Ideally, I would just need 3 - 4 days of training per week, so I could fit in some barbell work and pull-ups.
  1. Can you recommend any program with built-in progression that would fit my needs (especially no double kettlebell press)? It could also just use one kettlebell. I did some free workouts from Lebe Stark and I like them pretty much. However, I am missing a progression scheme over several weeks here.
  2. Does anyone have a similar problem with double kettlebell press and can recommend any exercises that may help to do double kb press again?
Thanks in advance!

@gmtworldwide I don't know about good programs to suit you, though there are several online coaches who might be able to make you one for a reasonable fee.

But adding a progression is not necessarily difficult.

You can for example add a set every week. Or if you use a time box, you can try to do more each week (though as you get better, this also happens automatically unless you are using timed rests). If you are using timed rests, you can shorten them as you get better. You can add reps over time. You can extend the time box.

And then add weight at some point and start over.

@juancarlos thanks for the suggestion. I used timed rest for progression during the giant and ran a similar workout a few times with push-ups, double cleans and double fsq. However, I did not do this on a regular basis during the week like in the giant. Maybe I try this for 4 weeks or so and see how it is going