My completely subjective experience with, and advice for, starting a strength training program (as an absolute beginner)

@lifeunlocked The excitement that I hear throughout your story is so familiar to the start of my lifting journey. I honestly believe that this is the kind of attitude you need to stick with any kind of exercise long enough to create lifelong changes. Granted, I’m sure you’ve already learned that through weight loss (congrats!). This was so refreshing to read, thank you for sharing!

@godisgreat_77 Thank you so much for this comment. It just hit me, after reading what you wrote, that I AM really excited. I have been working on losing weight for a just a little over 2 years at this point, so I know that change and progress takes time. But, on the flip side, I also know that six months from now I am going to amaze myself with what I can do if I stay steady and consistent, and I am really looking forward to it! Thanks for such an insightful comment!

@lifeunlocked Thank you for sharing your experiences! Strength training has always been intimidating for me purely because of the amount of information you need to understand before starting. Thank you so much for breaking it down and all the best on your journey!

@lifeunlocked Thanks for sharing experience. I took a bit easier route myself. I picked set of weights on local buy/sell/trade, got $30 bench from amazon and "FB Mass" program from here: https://www.fitnessblender.com/plans

Over time I also ended up getting more weights, floor mat and full size mirror but initial setup was quick and I managed to get into it before I lost the interest. I am still into it 3 years later.

@cade360 My love of weights also started with fitness blender. I’m doing fbfit round 2 for the second time now and using heavier weights (only 20 lbs total/36 lbs for deadlifts) but still so proud of how far I’ve come. Do you like fb mass? I also tried the fb boredeasily program and it wasn’t too bad but I really like how fab fit challenges me!

@jazeps I did fbmass at last 20 times. I like it a lot but I feel like I know it too well and I am not getting as much challlange from it any more . I use 2x25 or 2x40 and do 10 to 12 reps when they call for 8 or 10. I am not comfortable increasing weight any more as these days shopping for new cloths is too complicated and I am not comfortable with my man boobs and biceps - I look like I am trying too hard.

I did fbstrength a few times but found it a bit less fun, I did not feel fully worked out the most of the days.

I am on 2nd week of fbblend now and I enjoy it a lot. It could be it is because it is new.

@cade360 Good to know. I started with less than 10 pounds and have slowly worked my way up to us 20/30 depending on the exercise. Glad to hear someone else’s views who’s done FB programs!

@lifeunlocked Just wanted to say congrats on your journey! It's inspiring to read and I love that you knew yourself and your body (i.e. started 3x a week instead of 6x).

I only lift with dumbbells as I never could get the barbell down but the broom idea is genius!

@groggit Thank you so much for your kind words! And yeah, 6 days a week was a lot to start with, so I definitely believe in “something is better than nothing.” Starting with 3 days a week seemed do-able, and I am really happy that I’ve been able to stick with that— there is plenty of time to add in more when I’m ready!

@lifeunlocked Thank you! As someone who is excited to start strength training once gyms open, this is very helpful. Also, the barbell alone is like 40-50lbs! That’s quite the accomplishment to be able to only lift the bar!

@thesun1122 You’re really welcome. And, also, in the spirit of “just pick something and start,” you can do almost all of the recommended routine over at r/bodyweightfitness without a gym (I think there are a few exercises that use cables, but you can use resistance bands, or just skip those exercises for now). Something is better than nothing, you know? There is also a free app to follow along with the r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine as well (as you can tell, I did tons of research on this!): it’s called Fitloop!

You got this, and you will be making gains of your own sooner than you know!

@lifeunlocked Thanks for the support! I actually finished Chloe Ting's 2 week shred last week (I'll admit it was a little tough for a semi-seasoned fitness gal like me) and am now on week 2 of Insanity (a tried-and-true classic). My apartment gym is supposed to open in the middle of September (or whenever they get the green light from the city health inspector) and it has a barbell with 5lb and 10lb plates. In the Before Times, I attempted to use it but they didn't have collars so I couldn't properly move up in weight. They now have collars so I'm determined to perfect my form. There's also a barbell gym I'm super interested in joining that opens sometime in October. I can't wait!

@lifeunlocked Crazy, but the "just pick something" is really the key. It is so much easier to try something and adjust based on how it makes you feel, changes in goals, etc but there is just *SO* much fitness content out there that can make that step seem almost impossible. And maybe you pick something that you don't like! Who cares, move on to something else. I'm years into a lifestyle that prioritizes health and fitness and, guess what? I am still trying things! You are not permanently locked into any style of training and as long as you stay away from injury (working within your capabilities) the world is truly your oyster.

@metalgrand That really was the key for me too. It really helped me narrow down the nebulous category of “learn about fitness” to “learn about these specific exercises,” which made it feel manageable, and like I could actually start.

And, just as you said, the program doesn’t have to be forever! I just wanted to start, so that I could work on building the habit of fitness into my daily life, and so far it seems to be working!

@lifeunlocked This is great! I was wondering what about nutrition? I mean, I am still trying to lose a bit of fat (especially belly fat) therefore I am eating on a calorie deficit. The thing is if I want to buil some muscles I should be on a surplus or at least maintenance but I am scare that I am gonna gain all the weight back.
How did you deal with that?