Protein question

seforah

Hey guys!

I am not a vegan, but i had a question to ask about vegan nutrition. I’ve always struggled with weight, and obviously I eat as majority of the US country does.

There was one brief stint of about 2 years where I got in absolutely amazing shape seeing a non-vegan nutritionist. I accomplished this by tracking macro-nutrient profiles. After some time, I realized that I had in-advertently started body building. I weight around 170lbs, and I needed 200g of protein, 150ish grams of carbs, and 70ish grams of fat. That all came out to around 2400 calories a day. Obviously lots of weight lifting and circuit training, with the circuit training being the primary form of cardio.

I have always been interested in a plant based diet to try out, but how on earth do you guys hit such high protein requirements for body building, without disrupting the ratio of other macros?

For example. Beans are high in protein, which is the highest protein vegan food (maybe aside from tofu) that you can eat. However, excluding the fiber, beans are still like 60/70% carbs when unprocessed and eaten whole. So to get 100 grams of protein from beans, you’d always end up with around 60% more carbs than protein.

How does that work? I am the classic “endomorph”. I’ll go from benching 180 to 250 in a week, but I’ll weight 250lbs for a month before I can break the barrier to 245 for a second month. So lower carb is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

@seforah
For example. Beans are high in protein, which is the highest protein vegan food (maybe aside from tofu) that you can eat.

Well that's just not true. Seitan, lentils, nuts, seeds, and yes tofu are all higher in protein than beans.

@elisagreen That’s fine, but for the most part, their carb to protein ratio remains constant correct? My point was in order to consume enough protein, low carb is out of the question as they go hand in hand.....? Even among the “highest protein” vegan foods.

@seforah No, that’s not correct.

Seitan can be upwards of 90% protein depending on how it’s prepared.

Firm tofu is usually at least 50% protein with the majority of remaining macronutrients coming from fat (of course, this depends on the brand too).

And for nuts/seeds each one tends to be different but they’re usually a combination of protein and fat more so than protein and carbs.

For example these are the P/C/F of 100g of some common nuts:

Cashews - 18/30/44
Almonds - 21/21/50
Peanuts - 26/15/49

@seforah The rda of protein is 0.8 gm per kg. I have seen some touting 2 gm per kg, which I have doubts since many its documented that others have lost weight built significant muscle following rda.

So, I don't believe you need that, but if you feel strongly that you do, you can drink vegan protein powder. Whether you can get to 200 gm on 2400 calories would need to be calculated.

Back