Question about my gym progress

kerimf

Hello po, bago lang ako to this subreddit and hoping I can get someone’s insight.

I’ve been going to the gym for about a year, first 6 months were fully focused on 1-hour of cardio/resistance for 3-4 days a week. The next 6 months up to today, I’ve decided to also add in some weights.

I’m 27 Male, 164 cm in height and about 62kg in weight.

I’m losing the drive to go to the gym because my body fat % keeps increasing while muscle mass increase is only about 0.1 kg per month. This is with taking whey daily and 3-5 days a week of gym. I honestly think that I’m doing the best that I can, but I don’t see results. I’m also trying to hit my daily protein so at this point I am not sure what else I need to do.

Any advise? Thank you!

@kerimf Hitting your daily protein only or hitting also your calorie needs? Based sa sabi mo, more like skinny fat ka rin. try compound exercises and do very minimal cardio lang. siguro once a week or once every 2 weeks. Focus more sa weight lifting, progressive overload din syempre :)

@misskasey628 Thank you hehe mukhang dito ako nagkakamali, I enjoy cardio so I allot about 20 mins of treadmill sprint to my routine. I’ll minimize my cardio and swap the time to weightlifting!

@kerimf What kind of program/workout do you do in those 3-5 days a week? To simplify, how hard do you really train on those days? Wala yan sa # of times going to the gym but rather on what exactly you do when training.

Seems like you are a beginner, try a coach para mas guides ka on the training part atleast.

@reformed On the first 6 months may coach ako, my short term goal that time was to lose belly fat (which I did), and unfortunately I can’t continue to have a coach dahil sa budget hehe.

I think my trainings were progressive enough, I dont just simply go to the gym just to be there, I really try hard to do the work. But I understand your point hehe as others pointed out maybe I’m not training hard enough or probably doing some things wrong

@kerimf Its not a knock on you. Its common that we overestimate how hard we really work or how we manage our diet.

Been lifting for years and it took several coaches and a competition to really push my training to another level.

Budget options, get a training buddy and mix it up. Maybe a buddy will help you push further. Try a different program, powerlifing or bodybuilding focused etc. Focus on your rest time. Lots of small things you can do to improve your current workouts.

@kerimf Are you doing proper progressive overload / making sure your lift actually progresses?

Are you giving enough time for your muscles to recover?

Fat+water adding in will always be faster than muscle gains in terms of rate but as long as your strength is increasing (in all parts ideally) it will just be fine since you can remove those excess unwanted weight when you do a cut phase. Check the 2 factors above. 3 lifting session a week can be optimal if your split is good and it can help your muscles to recover and grow better.

@kerimf That's why there are phases in physique building at importante na alam mo yung expectations on each phase. Diet and macros are primarily the difference in each. Strength training typically stays the same. Usually I give myself 72 hrs of rest kung magkasunod na nasa upper body area yung naka-sched sa split ko. 48 hrs if upper body then legs. Same or a bit a longer if legs then upper body.

@kerimf You're trying to hit your daily protein but what about your carbs, fats, and calories? You'll gain weight if your caloric intake exceeds what you require to maintain weight. If it's less, then you'll lose weight.

Buying a food scale and making your own meal plan would be best. List down every macro in your meal and adjust from there.

Also, I suggest checking your workout routine. If your diet is good, then, the problem might be your workout routine. Maybe you're not pushing yourself enough or maybe you're doing your exercises wrong.

@kerimf Where are you getting your numbers?

As far as I know the only accurate way to measure body fat is the hydrostatic weighing. Even the dexascan is seen as inaccurate.

You should probably check if you are getting enough rest. Make sure you get 7-8 hours of quality sleep. Muscle is damaged in the gym and repaired during rest.

You can also try taking creatine to hydrate your muscles and make them look fuller.

Back