Question about PB & j

antony32

I eat a lot of pb & j and usually throw a banana or apple slices in it. I use healthy pb and decent quality whole wheat bread so im happy with the nutrition if it, but i cant find a healthy way to do the jelly. Most jams and preserves have a bunch of added sugar i dont want. And without the jelly it usually tastes way too dry to me. I honestly eat 3 of these to make a meal and do it a few times a week so it is a significant portion of my diet.

I dont have to throw a jelly like food on it but i need something to keep it from tasting so dry, just not sure what alternatives taste good and are healthy. Crushed berries? I tried blended grapes, bad idea...

@antony32 You can make a quick jam of strawberry, a little bit of maple syrup and chia seeds.

2 cups (350 g) frozen strawberries*
2 Tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup
2 Tbsp (14 g) chia seeds
1 tsp vanilla extract
Add strawberries and maple syrup to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Heat until the berries begin to release their liquid, about 5-15 minutes depending on whether or not they were thawed first. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until berries begin to break down and thicken, about 5 -10 minutes. Use your spoon to break them apart further if desired. Stir in the chia seeds and the vanilla, continuing to cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the jam to cool. It will continue to thicken the longer it sits.
* You can easily sub out strawberries for your favourite frozen fruit.

Back