R.A.D. R1

annemk

Hello everyone

I looked everywhere for a review or user feedback on R.A.D. R1 running shoes but no luck. I would be very happy if you can give your opinions on this shoes?

@annemk I’ve been wearing their training shoes for the past year and love them, so I decided to order their runners to give them a chance also.

Honestly didn’t care for them. They were stable and fit well, but hurt my feet after running for more than a mile. That could just be my feet though. I was still within their return policy so I sent them back.

Love the trainers, didn’t love the runners as much. But no harm in giving them a try if you want, they do have a decent return policy.

@kezi Second this. Love the trainers and really dislike the runners. I log a lot of kms running, have for years and years... RAD runners were the first shoe to give me the infamous runners toe.

I kept them, throw them into the shoe rotation when I want to use the treadmill.

@annemk Pretty sure the review below is about the training shoes not the runners. I have the runners and they're ok, cushioning is ok for heavier runners and they look good too in my opinion.

But compared to other brands like New Balance, Nike, Asics etc you can get much better cushioning for the same price, or a little more. I got the Rad R1 for £150 when they first released and they're nowhere near as good from a cushioning perspective as my Nike Invincibles I got for £105 at an outlet. I also get hot spots at the bottom of my arch if I wear the RADs past the 5km mark, the only other brand I've got this from is Hoka. Would recommend checking out the Asics Novablast, New Balance 1080, Nike vomero, Nike Invincible instead of the RAD R1s.

@annemk The only shoe I feel comfortable doing all CrossFit movements in. The rest have major or minor limitations when going from something like lifting to running and box jumps.

@kezi Sorry i think I misunderstood. Rad ones for all movements in CrossFit. The runners are great for running and walking - I will likely do Murph in them but definitely not an everyday CrossFit shoe.

@annemk I have the runners and I’m a distance runner. I swap between 2 different Hokas and the R-1s when I’m training for a race. I like R-1s for speed runs that are 3-7 miles and my Hokas for longer runs. The R-1s had a bigger drop than I was use to but I got use to that pretty quickly. The tongue is too thick (in my opinion) and the laces are a little too long. I like the cushion but I did have to add insoles to them since my feet are pretty flat and that’s standard for any running shoe with me.

I probably wouldn’t buy another pair until they revamp it a bit more. I saw they’re starting product testing to make some changes on them soon.

If you want a good running shoe, go to a local running store and get fitted!

@annemk Runners know that a shoe that feels great for one person, may not feel great for another. Try them on and just see what it feels like. If your looking for a pure running shoe, just go to a store that will let you actually go outside and run with them on and see what they feel like. I personally like Saucony.

@annemk I got the R1 running shoes on first release. I ran nearly 550km in them before retiring them and using them as casual trainers. I’ve ran everything from 5k through to 20k+ in them. I have even used them for some faster paced interval and tempo sessions (I would not recommend this)

They’re good for slower, easier paced runs, very cushioned, generally pretty stable (I have a neutral gait), nice enough laces and generally feel comfortable. I did have to use runners loop but there was plenty of lace to do so.

I also run in the Saucony Triumph 21s and will say that is a fair comparison, however the Triumphs will last you much longer and have a more breathable upper. Never ran in the RADs in the height of summer and I don’t think I would like to.

Are they better than actual shoes put out by actual running focused companies? No, probably not. Are they good enough to take out on easy/recovery runs? Sure

Price is another factor. They are a lot, there’s no denying that, and a huge part of the price tag is the RAD branding. You could go out and buy some brooks on sale for £50 and they would be as good. If style is important to you, I’d argue these are some of the nicest running trainers out there. Maybe only second to the Boston 12s

Final thoughts, would I buy another pair? No, unless they revamp it and it looks interesting enough to want to try

@annemk I got the R1s free for judging at a competition this year. I think they’re great for short distance runs but I think anything long my feet would HURT

@kennybest I purchased the R-1 about 3 months ago. I will say they don’t have the same springiness as my Pegasus. In short distances they aren’t that great, but they hold up well in long distance runs like 2-3 miles or more. I’d consider another pair, but I’ll most likely be buying another pair for shorter distances and for more daily use.

Back