Recomping — realizing I have a goal body and not a goal weight!

mommy2littles

A year and a half ago I lost about 15 pounds by doing CICO. I exercised too, but didn’t do much in the way of strength training. I yo-yo’d a little over the next year but I was never at my “goal weight”. I was always frustrated that I never saw the number I wanted to see on the scale. I knew I had lost some inches and my clothes fit better but I was always a few pounds away from my “goal” before life would get in the way and I would gain weight.

A few months ago I started a new program that focused more on strength training. At the same time I was still eating a calorie deficit (usually aiming for somewhere between half a pound loss and one pound loss per week). I wasn’t super precise with my macros but started making a conscious effort to eat more protein. I started to get much more muscle definition (and feel WAY stronger!) but my weight loss was much slower than it was last year and I was once again getting frustrated about that “goal weight.” I am religious about tracking my calories and my TDEE (the adaptive TDEE spreadsheet is amazing!!), so my slow progress was driving me crazy.

Unfortunately I didn’t take good “before” pics so I’ve never been able to compare very well. But last night I found a picture I took while trying on bikinis earlier this year so I figured I’d put it side by side with a recent pic. I was super happy with the progress. Then I looked up what my weight was on both of those days... it blew my freaking mind.

I weighed almost exactly the same when both of these pics were taken.
Left pic: January 7, 127.2 lbs
Right pic: May 31, 127.9 lbs

It’s been such a wake up call for me. I found this sub a couple weeks ago and started reading about recomping but I thought “no I’m definitely cutting right now, maybe I’ll try recomping when I get to my goal weight”. Now I’m realizing the goal weight was just an arbitrary number I picked that I thought sounded right, but what I really want is a GOAL BODY. I feel like such a weight has been lifted off my shoulders!

(Bonus pic, clothed but flexing 💪🏻)

@mommy2littles You look great! i've been having this issue too and sometimes get stuck on it because I made the bad decision of ordering a scale at the start of Quarantine. Your post made me feel a lot better knowing i'm not alone :)