[REVIEW] Gyms in Katipunan

My original post is in r/ADMU. Added 2 other gyms here!

Hi guys!

Here are my reviews of the gyms near Ateneo.

Please add yours in the comments if you have tried other gyms as well. Does anyone go to Pound For Pound? Heard the rates are awesome and it already includes a trainer.
  1. Anytime Fitness - 4.5 / 5 (Note: I've tried it here months ago so they've probably made some additions on the weights section.) The place is clean and it's open 24/7. The equipment is state of the art, but I think it's better for beginners. There are still some equipment lacking in the weights area like more bars for chest presses, squats, DLs, and other exercises. The bathrooms are great since they're individual rooms and not just cubicles in a big locker room. Any comments on the trainers and classes? I haven't really had a training session/class here. They offer free trials which is great, and they have awesome customer service.
  2. Gold's Gym Katipunan - 4 / 5 I get a good deal for PHP 1,000/mo because of alumni discount. There's a variety of equipment and machines but oftentimes, a lot of them don't work such as the rowing machine and a few treadmills. There are plenty of classes to choose from, which are already paid for by your membership. I like lifting but I attend spinning and circuit (bootcamp) classes para 'di sayang membership. Locker rooms are subpar, showers need some improvement. The trainers are okay but people aren't exactly super friendly, but they're nice. I think this might be because I tried Fitness First before and the coaches and front desk people were very welcoming.
  3. CrossFit Katipunan - 4.5 / 5 The only downside here is that it's traffic in the area and the place is open so a lot of pollution gets in when you exercise. I didn't do CF a lot but the coaches were so friendly and warm. They encourage you to do 1 rep more and push you to your limits in a good way. People there treat each other like family but it's probably because they die in each workout and resurrect with each other everyday, lol. Bathroom is clean and I can't help but mention again how nice the coaches are. You don't feel any competition at all with the other members, unlike in other gyms na parang other people flex and it's annoying.
  4. UFC Gym - 4.75 / 5 Probably the best one I've tried. The classes are good but I haven't had one-on-one session with coaches. The receptionists are accommodating and the coaches are cool too. I've only tried one class so far. Downside is they don't have a speedball, or maybe it's currently not installed. Other than that, all the equipment isnew and of good quality. The bathroom is spotless too but maybe because the gym is new haha. I got a good deal from the P 1,111/mo promo last 11/11. I want to hear about how the coaching is vs other martial arts centers. Is it really as excellent as it advertises?
  5. Pound for Pound - 3.5/5 Coaches are great but there's no ventilation. I think that's the ultimate con here. The equipment is also limited and there is only one shower room. No bathrooms there although the building bathroom is walking distance. Good points: They have awesome circuit exercises and super affordable deals!!
P.S. If anyone's tried Moro, Chazaqs, Elorde, feel free to add below! You can also comment on fitness/wellness studios such as White Space or the pole dance/aerial silk studio above Mercury Drug (sorry, I forgot the name).

P.P.S. This is in Libis area so not really Katip but I would recommend Elite Boxing & Muay Thai Eastwood for those who are interested to learn the sports. I prefer their coaches in Makati (lol ang layo) but the coaches in Libis are also hands-on, plus their locker/shower room is better haha.

@%E2%80%A0michael%E2%80%A0 Thanks for this! Interesting takes on the gyms from what i would guess an mma or generalist perspective? I guess the way we review establishments depend on what kind of training we do

and the usual times we train.

I've gone to Golds and UFC but transferring to AF early January since there are 3 AFs in katip and I have some very specific needs for the upcoming comp in may. Anyway my review is probably going to be a little different since my background falls on the powerlifiting side with some hypertrohpy blocks in between strength cycles.

Price:
  1. Golds- 1k(if you have admu or corporate discount). 1.2k-1.6k depending on metrodeal
  2. UFC- 840-1.3k depending on your promo I got a very limited offer of 10k for a year since i was one of the first 50 members who actually finished 160+ sessions in my first year.
  3. AF- I'm lucky to have gotten a 2k a month contract for life.
Sidenote: There are times that i've maintained more than one gym membership because "gym is wife" and the marine rule "two is one, one is none". I also just like working out in general.

Golds
  1. More than decent selection of machines and if i ever transition to a more physique oriented focus they'd probably have the best range of tools. If you want to grow very specific body parts from a variety of angles they probably have what you need. It's practically a body building gym anyway.
  2. 2 Squat racks with non adjustable safeties, 1 flat,1 incline, 1 decline(lol) bench. These get crowded easily when the bros are there but the people are generally easy to work with so i never had a problem with my 1yr 3 mos of staying there. If your height isn't matched with the squat rack you'd have to put padding beneath your feet which adds to the instability. Nothing to worry about if you're squatting light weight but if you squat in the 400s it's not ideal nor safe.
  3. Heavy deadlifts are now normal so people make room for it. They have well cushioned floors for it.
  4. Bars are sub-par to decent. At the very least some have decent knurling so the bar isn't going to slide off your back or hands. Good for powerlifts but not for oly lifts. They also don't have bumper plates so forget dropping the weight from a snatch, jerk or even front rack position
  5. They have a wide selection of cardio so you'll always have something to do liss with.
  6. Dami ng tao lang talaga kalaban mo.
  7. Xfactor- there are strong people in the gym that might help with motivation. People know how to spot and they even cheer you on.
UFC UPTC
  1. New and well maitained equipment but half as comprehensive as golds.
  2. 2 Squat racks with adjustable safeties. 1 flat, 1 incline, 1 fully adjustable bench. Hardly anyone uses the free weights are especially when there are classes which works out well for me since i sometimes take long breaks when on a strength block. Floors beneath the squat rack is either uneven or slippery- pick your poison.
  3. DL anything beyond 4plates and you'll get frowned upon lol. This is the main reason why im going back to AF. The deadlift platform is a joke since there's no cushioning between the platform and the cemented floor so it gets noisy AF. They had to put up with my noise for almost a year before they finally got the platform they promised.
  4. Bars are non standard and are slippery AF. Knurling is a joke and even the thickness isnt standard. There's only one good bar and if it's taken I wait for it. They have one whippy, oly style bar so oly lifts are possible without bruising your neck.
  5. Cardio equipment is limited and often occupied. They have a sled and a few hiit mills tho. MOre HIIT friendly than golds.
  6. People don't know how to return plates and the coaches tolerate it. Not cool. They're also only open till 10pm :(
  7. Xfactor- i'd say 80-90% of the mma coaches are legit. They compete and fight at national levels or close to it. It's prob the best bang for buck considering the options given to you. BJJ, judo, boxing, kick boxing, muay thai etc. Sadly it's just not my thing
AF
  1. I've been to more than a dozen AF gyms but since i have yet to start my membership i really cant comment beyond the following:
  2. Bars are decent and they have enough plates for my needs for the next 3-5years. The one in Vista has promised in writing that they will not stop heavy deadlifts or chalk use.
  3. Most AFs i've been to have isolation machines that i need for my kind of training. Machines that UFC or golds doesnt have.
  4. I have a very weird work schedule so i need the 24hr convenience.
I'll add some more when i start early next year. I still have ufc till sept and i'll prob use both till my contract runs out.

@tony2468 Yooo thanks for this! This is very comprehensive. I did an overview (which I copy pasted from my post in r/admu lol) for beginners and/or people who’ve never been to the gym. Good to know your take on this!

As a non-MMA/boxer, do you have any recommendations for classes in UFC? I still have a few months there and I’ve only attended one class. Am not a pro-martial arts person btw.

Ah, I forgot to mention. One thing that frustrates me just a little bit in UFC is some of the machines are in kilos but everything else is in pounds lol. Not a big deal tho bc basic math but it’s confusing since I’m new to UFC.

@%E2%80%A0michael%E2%80%A0
As a non-MMA/boxer, do you have any recommendations for classes in UFC? I still have a few months there and I’ve only attended one class. Am not a pro-martial arts person btw.

Aside from judo i've tried almost every non dut class atleast once and i can really say that the classes are coach dependent i'd go with any class taught by Drex(One championship title holder), Gio, Carl and Alvin.

One thing that frustrates me just a little bit in UFC is some of the machines are in kilos but everything else is in pounds lol.

- I do rpe based training so i don't even look at the weights on the machine. It might be good to look into effort based training in general.

@%E2%80%A0michael%E2%80%A0 For AF UPTC, I think they have a good number of bars. Four 20 kg, One 15 kg, a Trap Bar, a Light Bar, a Safety Squat Bar, and a Log Bar among others. They also have bumper plates. There are several people who lift heavy there.

Back