Revise weight jumps on S&S

climpah

I do BJJ 3 to 5 times per week along with clubs 2 times per week. I do S&S twice per week. I’m using 16kg currently.

The book states that those who do a sport should train S&S 2 to 3 times per week. The book also states that progress will be slower, but it doesn’t define how to slow the progress down.

The book recommends a 20 week cycle to increase your swing and get up weight by 8kg jumps between weights. What I’m wondering is should I lower the weight jumps to maybe 4kg? This would basically make it take twice as long to reach untimed simple, or should I maybe keep the 8kg weight jump and increase the 20 week cycle to say 30 or 40 weeks to master the next weight? Or just leave it alone? Reason I’m wondering is I could see that progression being reasonable, but since I only do S&S twice per week it seems like it could be a lot.

@climpah I would try the recommended jumps and intervals. If it’s too much, you can dial it back.

My guess is you’ll be just fine, at least until you start pushing for the timed test with the 32kg.

@climpah I jumped when I hit simple for 16kg. The way I’m progressing is if I hit simple at whatever weight, I then go up. I feel like this may be a slower progress but I know I have “conquered” that weight once I hit simple and it’s time to move on if I’m not doing maintenance. Mind you, I do this 4 times a week with only jogging atm so take that into consideration but my S&S I go 100% each time.

@climpah
The book also states that progress will be slower, but it doesn’t define how to slow the progress down.

You're going about this backwards. Progress will be slower because you're getting less practice. You shouldn't deliberately slow progress down.

On top of that, I don't see a reason to lower the frequency. S&S isn't a particularly draining program to begin with.

@hunter101 The book literally states to slow progress down.

To go from 16kg to 24kg it shows a chart with a 20 week cycle. Assuming most people do S&S “almost daily” as the book states I would assume I would need to double the cycle to 40 weeks or decrease the weight to 4kg jumps and keep the 20 week cycle if I’m thinking about this correctly.

@hunter101 It doesn’t say anything about the cycle length other than the 20 week thing. 8kg jumps just seem massive if I’m only training 2 times a week but who knows if I don’t try it!

@climpah Hell yeah, that's the attitude!

I believe most people are capable of way more than they think, but the body doesn't like it when they push it to perform to its max.

Some bonus points:
  • Progress isn't linear, and doesn't have to be linear. Do some extra heavy set when it feels good, as prescribed, and work on making that consistent.
  • Not every workout has to be equally tough. You could try upping the frequency and keeping some of the days easier, with longer rests. You could use those rests actively to clean up a bit or do some dishes, or whatever.

@hunter101 I’ll mix in two handed swings, alternating ones as well. Swings aren’t as concerning, but adding an extra 8kg overhead in the get up seems like a lot.

@climpah I haven't done TGUs as a main exercise in years, but I'll occasionally do some 32kg ones as a warmup.

Honestly, the main thing that got me better at them was getting better at clean & press and front squats. But especially the press.

@saved_by_grace82 Build volume slowly and it’s not a problem. I’m a black belt in BJJ and competed for years. When I trained for worlds I trained 8-9x a week and still worked out 3-4x a week. Slowly ramp training volume and you’ll be surprised what your body can handle.