Revise weight jumps on S&S

@saved_by_grace82 Volume increase came from BJJ training, not from the workouts. So I kept workouts at 3-4x a week as I ramped from training 5x a week, to daily, to adding two a day practices.

Only working out 2x per week makes it difficult to make skill gains as well as S&C gains. If OP manages rest time/heart rate/breathing effectively during the workouts, I believe he would get benefit rather than detriment from increasing his workout frequency.

@saved_by_grace82 It's been years since I last grappled, so I won't rule that out.

Still, S&S is an easy program. And if things get tough, you can always make it an even easier day and just focus on precise execution.

@climpah If the 8kg jump in weight is too difficult, put the kettlebell in a triangle choke until it submits to your will.

Really sounds like a tough weekly regimen you have going!

To answer your specific question, I think either jumping 8kg or 4kg are both valid. But I personally went from 16kg to 20kg then 24kg and had no injuries (took about 12 weeks per weight to master). With a 4kg jump I never felt like I was dropped in the deep end. My TGUs had time to develop safely. I would usually phase in the heavier weight a few sets at a time. At that time I was also doing BJJ a few times a week, and I don’t think I ever had to scale back training due to overuse.

Another reason to jump 4kg is for other exercises. For overhead presses I personally don’t think an 8kg jump is efficient.

@climpah I try to do S&S 4-5 times a week. I can definitely feel the longer recovery helps me when I do maybe 3 a week. I probably just need more recovery time.

Anyway, I'd try the recommended progression anyway. You will know if you're not ready once you've done the first practice. Then, just keep going on the old weight a week or 2 longer.

@climpah The great thing about any suggested plan is we can tailor it. It’s supposed to be practice, not a goal to hit and move on. You want to take longer? Take longer.