Risk v reward

@jacobus7522 When I hunt way out in the forest, sometimes I need to hold a deep asian squat for a bit and the stench is pretty bad..

But I suspect the poster intended "stretch".

@dawn16 I’d agree with you that incorrect form may have contributed to my injury. I didn’t get to a point where I was load enough weight to “ego” lift so most likely came down to bad form.

@ttcmacro 50M here. Pinched nerve at C5/C6 and C6/C7. Herniated disc in lower back. I also prioritized core after that and was leery of doing deadlifts or squats. I therefore don’t go for PRs and just lift what I arbitrarily consider “safe weight” of 165 lbs for DL and Squats. I then just do Bulgarian split squats, leg press, etc.

@mrsmac0324 Yeah I’m with you on that herniated disc. It’s scary to get back in the squat rack. I like the idea of safe weight and not pushing or worrying about heavier weights.

@ttcmacro Unless you have a major and specific issue that would significantly increase the risk of injury, then the risk vs reward argument is generally a pissweak cop out and should be ignored. When utilised correctly, both squats and deadlifts carry little risk and offer a lot in return, especially in terms of strengthening your core and back to help avoid injury or further injury. They're easily some two of the biggest bang for your buck movements available.

However, no one is making you do them either. If you don't want to do them or you don't feel comfortable doing them, then by all means, don't, but there's no need to try and justify as anything else.

@ttcmacro 50m here. I started lifting at 44. I deadlift and squat heavy but also focus a lot on form and avoid ego lifting to avoid injury. So far so good. I credit deadlifting with improving the back aches I had from years at a desk job. Of course YMMV as I know everyone’s fitness journey and injury journey is personal.

There is absolutely no reason you have to do traditional barbell squat and deadlift. Just swapping out deadlifts for RDLs can be good as they are lower weight with a similar bang for the buck. Trap bar deadlifts are great as they hit a lot of same muscles as a deadlift and are easier to
do form-wise. Goblet squats and Bulgarian split are a great squat variation. I’ve got a friend with back issues and he loves the hack squat machine and squatting with a safety squat bar.

I also recommend checking out Squat University video content as they do a lot of work helping lifters return to lifting from back injuries. There is also a book called Rebuilding Milo that deals with returning from injury. Learning to rebuild from injury and work around it is a pretty key skill as we all get older.

P.S. I recommend checking out Pilates as well. Excellent for core work. I feel my bracing for squat and deadlifts improved after learning some Pilates.

@ttcmacro IDK if heavy barbell backsquats and deadlift are a good risk/reward, but you should def include squat and hinge grinds of some sort. How heavy you go is a function of your goals.

@ttcmacro I'm almost 50 and started doing them last summer. I'm very cautious of form and really like the results. I know some people cringe at his videos, but Alan Thrall's deadlift one really clicked for me.

@ttcmacro 52 here. Squats and deadlifts are what will keep you strong. Go light and work through the strength building to a sane weight. Do trap DLs or RDLs if you need variety that’s easier on the back. But no way, those guys gave you bad advice.

@ttcmacro No exercise is mandatory but squats and deads are tremendous in building stability and strength. There are a million variations of each also, which you can use for your particular anthropometry. Machines are fine too. Just feel your own body, go slowly, and focus on excellent form.

Back