Routine feedback

sincerelyyours

Hi all !

I have been practicing BWF since June last year with a lot of great info from this sub! Thanks everyone!

Now after some progress I would like some review of my current routine!

I do it 3x week and takes approximately 1 hour. I do paired sets / supersets with 1 min pause between the two exercises in the pair and 2 minutes breaks between paired sets. My approach so far has been to follow the primer and BWSF routine progressions. Now mixed in hyper extensions instead of birddogs (from RR) and Jefferson curls because my physiotherapist preferred that for my back for spinal stability. My main motivation is to mitigate risks of sciatica issues and pain. Now I also want to get bigger and stronger overall.

Routine:

Typically I go between 5-12 reps depending on the exercise and the recommendations.

1st pair:
3 x 9 Bulgarian Split squats
3 x Negative pull up (5 s decline)

2nd pair:
3x 9 inverted rows in rings
3 x 10 normal pushups

3rd pair
3 x 8 barbell Jefferson curls 35kg
3x 10 barbell RDLs 35 kg

4th pair (core)
3x 10 deadbugs (1 s hold at extension)
3x 12 hyperextensions

What is your feedback ? Is there any way to optimise this or make it more time efficient ? Are there overlaps where some other exercises would be better to practice in order to hit more muscles ? Is there a way to change it to grow more muscles ?

In order to reduce time , I would like to change the BSS from using dumbbells to normal barbell squats. But I don’t have a rack. Is there any hacks to do that with a barbell ?

Thanks

@sincerelyyours
I do it 3x week and takes approximately 1 hour. I do paired sets / supersets with 1 min pause between the two exercises in the pair and 2 minutes breaks between paired sets. My approach so far has been to follow the primer and BWSF routine progressions.

Need at least 3 minutes between paired exercises for good strength and hypertrophy. Ideally 3-5 mins and paired sets should not have overlapping muscle groups.

ow mixed in hyper extensions instead of birddogs (from RR) and Jefferson curls because my physiotherapist preferred that for my back for spinal stability. My main motivation is to mitigate risks of sciatica issues and pain. Now I also want to get bigger and stronger overall.

I personally would not recommend JCurls if you have back issues. I like reverse hypers and segmental rolling a lot better.
What is your feedback ? Is there any way to optimise this or make it more time efficient ? Are there overlaps where some other exercises would be better to practice in order to hit more muscles ? Is there a way to change it to grow more muscles ?

In order to reduce time , I would like to change the BSS from using dumbbells to normal barbell squats. But I don’t have a rack. Is there any hacks to do that with a barbell ?

Can't really say much without your goals or anything but looks fine as a general routine.

No rack to do squats you'd need to power clean the weight to front squat or back squat unless you can make a makeshift rack. DB BSS is fine though.

@sincerelyyours
Im already doing reverse hypers. Shoul i skip jcurls ? Is it targeting same muscles ?

JCurls are usually used to improve mobility/flexibility.

Reverse hypers strengthen/stabilize the back.

You get some stabilization/strengthening with JCurl, but loading up heavier weights is risky IMO. I've treated people who have gotten injuries from JCurls so yeah..

@deborah123 Okay , tjen I Will reduce the load and consider another exercise.

What would you swap it with considering the rest og my routine ?

My main goal is to stabilize core and back to avoid more injuries related to discos prolapse. Aside from this I would like to get a balanced athletic body and some “visual effects” :)

Back