running 3 times a week advice on progression?

andrewjrg85

I run 3 times a week I started at 7.5km/h for 40 mins then 50 mins then 1h. I then ran at 8km/h for 40 mins then 50 mins and so on. I'm trying to get my endurance back from 5 years ago. I play football and ran 12km in 1h, 3 times a week during the off season. What's the best way to achieve 12 km/h again when I'm running 3 times a week? Thanks.

@milkywaymercy I've been running for 3 weeks 3 times a week. Thanks I'll check it out. I'm doing strength training on the days I don't run I'm also on a vegan sportsman diet which I made a few years ago.

@andrewjrg85 You need some intervals in there. Slow pace is great and all but if you want to be faster you need the intervals. There are many different types and depending on your goals you should customize them. I do lots of 5k intervals down to 1ks at the minimum for my marathon training but if you want to do your 12k in 1h I would suggest doing stuff like 6x5mins@10km/h with 2 mins rest and see how that feels. If it's too easy just up the speeds and a few more reps. If you can handle about 8x5mins@12km/h without being completely dead you're getting close to trying for a straight 60 min 12k.

I would switch one of your slow runs per week for this type of interval instead.