Tips for Treadmill to Road Running?

@coreys1
(think of those moving walkways in airports, how you’re able to move so quickly even though you’re walking normally).

This makes zero sense. On a treadmill, you're running the opposite direction the tread is moving. On an airport walkway, you're moving in the same direction as the tread so of course you'll move faster. Anecdotally, I run much faster outdoors than on my treadmill. And treadmill running has vastly improved my outdoor race times.

@jero8858 I’ve always preferred running outdoors because I get bored on the treadmill. Also I enjoy setting my own pace — that might be what’s messing with you. I’d imagine it’s easier to transition outside on a running path or something similar where you can “set it and forget it” rather than a varied route with a lot of hills or traffic crossings where you have to stop and wait. Running around a track if you have a park or school nearby could also help you bake in your own pace.

@jero8858 Used to be treadmill exclusive but now I am outside and I’ve never looked back! Best tips are to start short distance and know your route. Get an app to track your pace or a Fitbit, but keeping pace outside is harder than a treadmill.

Make sure that you can BE SEEN. This seems stupid but is SO IMPORTANT. Be. Seen. By cars, by other people, whatever just be visible

@arete Also to add--do your best to be seen, but assume you're invisible. Act like they don't see you (i.e. get over and run on curb in neighborhoods if you see a car coming, and don't assume they see you and will give you space). 9/10 times they do see you, but better to be safe.

@arete Thanks for the tips! I have a Fitbit so do map my outdoors but haven't really delved into it as much as I could. Excellent point re: visibility

@jero8858 I would just start running outside asap. And don't worry about the specific pace, just focus on running by effort and keep it nice and easy. The pace that your treadmill reads is most likely not accurate, so there isn't really any point in trying to match that pace perfectly outside. Running by feel/effort is a much better strategy.