Scared but going to try

bard

Matagal ko ng binabalak mag gym pero never had the courage to do so. I also asked some of my friends if they are interested in joining me kaso busy sila most of the time. Though I realize, I just can't keep relying on others if I want do things that I truly wanted to do n huhu. So tomorrow I'll try to muster up some courage and go to our local gym tomorrow since I 100% want to improve myself.

With that said I have some questions:

1. How do you plan your diet and routine? I am interested in bulking pero I find planning kind of complicated. I'll appreciate if there's any recommendations (resources) about this one.

2. What are some etiquettes should I practice/follow inside the gym? - Nahihiya talaga ako pero I atleast want to look somehow civilized and disciplined sa loob xD

3. What equipments/supplements/anything should I invest to?

Also I'm willing to hear about some tips, beginner's story and the likes as motivation lang haha!

Kinakabahan ako ng sobra just by thinking about going to the gym pero I really won't achieve anything if mag overthink T_T

@bard As you said, you are overthinking. No one gets a gym membership and have their exercises and diet perfectly right for their needs and personality at day 1. So 2 words, Just Start. Sign up to that gym that is accessible to your location and sched. You will learn what you need along the way, we have the almighty internet.

@bard Congrats on deciding to start! Personally, even after years of adding exercising to my lifestyle, I still go thru the same hardships that beginners do. Getting my ass out of the house to go to the gym/exercise is still a struggle everyday, remember that once you get over that, you already one half the battle!
  1. Diet and nutrition you should learn more about. From macronutrients to micronutrients, you should be aware of what you're putting into your body. Not gonna delve into the specifics as you should definitely go down the rabbit hole of studying about it as it's something you will stick to your mind until old age. As per planning

your routine, however, it shouldn't really be that complicated for you as you are a beginner. You're coming from what I'm assuming is very little movement into a very active lifestyle, so that difference to your body, for now, is already enough for some tremendous gains (look up: newbie gains). I would suggest, for the first few months to just do whatever movement/exercise you find enjoyable, look up how to do it in proper form (dig down into the youtube rabbit hole of fitness lmao), keep showing up, and just be consistent. Eventually, you'll find yourself needing to tailor a much more specific program/split according to your goals.
  2. Keep to yourself, don't ever be shy to ask around for help/tips, put equipment back where you found it, and just enjoy your time as much as you can. Don't be shy to make friends with people that go at the same time with you!
  3. Look up newbie gains. You do not need much at the start. For equipment, I suggest focusing more on whatever it is that is needed for compound movements (e.g. squats, bench press, pull ups), so basically not much. You'll learn along the way how straps, belts, etc.. can help you, but it is not important now. For supplements, same thing. Don't need much at the start other than getting proper nutrition (eating whole foods, looking at food labels, learning about calories, effects of food on your body like sugar) and plenty of regular proper sleep. I would suggest however, making sure you get enough vitamins regularly. Take a multivitamin if you don't get it from food. Take vitamin C to strengthen your immune system, because as a newbie, I made the mistake of getting sick a lot due to lack of micronutrients. If anything right now, you should invest in a good pillow haha!
tl:dr; As a beginner, utilize your newbie gains. Keep moving, keep eating, keep sleeping. Be consistent and remember that showing up is half the battle. Enjoy the learning process and do not expect instant results. Fitness is a lifestyle and you should embed in your mind that it is something you are gonna do for the rest of your life. Keep it up!

Sorry if I had to post something like this ): coping mechanism lang pag kinakabahan ng sobra

@bard You only need to bulk if you have significantly low body fat or if you have been training for years now and aren't getting any more progress. For beginners bulking is usually a trap, they bulk and get way too fat to see their gains and then they quit and stay fat.

As for gym etiquette, just be a decent person, don't be loud. 99% of people who go to the gym are there for themselves, so don't worry about people judging you

I would just go with creatine, supplement with whey if you can not eat enough high protein food.

@bard Same situation ako sa'yo noon OP and sa purpose na rin. What I did is talagang lumabas lang ako ng bahay and straight sa gym, nakaka-kaba pero "nasa labas naman na ako and naglalakad so wala ng balikan ito" - ganito lang sinasabi ko sa sarili ko first few weeks.

And nakaka-intimidate agad dahil ang daming tao, what I did is kausap ko lang yung trainer as in focus lang sa kanya at sa mga sasabihin niya para hindi ko mapansin kung gaano karaming tao sa gym (Later ko na-observe ko na yes mapapansin ka nila sa umpisa pero babalik din sila sa sets nila, talagang walang pakielamanan).

If solo flight ka naman (no trainer), before going sa gym sana kahit papano may prepared program ka na susundan (YouTube research) para doon ma-shift focus mo.

About sa etiquette:
1. Balik mo mga ginamit mo
2. Punasan mo mga benches etc. na nagamit mo

Equipments naman, I would suggest lifting belt and wrist support. Kung want mo rin gloves/straps. Definitely flat shoes.

About bulking and diet, research and try kung ano sa tingin mo fit sa needs mo or budget.

Additional tips:
1. Be consistent sa training, yes gym rat mode.
2. Follow mo program mo, huwag kang assorted (sabi ng trainer ko)

@dspeters5 4 sessions, one each day lang. So parang in a week lang then solo flight na. Also, nilista ko kasi mga exercises and sequences para hindi na uulit sa akin trainer ko dahil nahihiya din ako noong una talaga so I make sure na captured lahat ng training namin. Nakabantay pa rin naman sa akin trainer ko noong solo flight na and lalapit for correction then sisibat na after to train others.

Update: Thank you so much for the tips and kind words everyone. Managed to enroll at the gym today and going to start na tomorrow ♥️♥️

@bard
  1. When it comes to diet, do not do drastic changes. Choose healthier alternatives that you enjoy, hindi kailangan magsuffer kase hindi mo trip kinakain mo. Focus on high protein meals after workouts and carbs before workouts. Sa routine, marami sa internet. Find the workout that suits your needs and you enjoy doing. Sa una mangangapa ka talaga hindi naman masama magtanong. Basta be ready to learn at syempre may mga maling info din kaya matuto din magcheck kung tama pa ba tinuturo.
  2. If may nauna sa equipment na gagamitin mo always ask first kung pwede makisabay/alternating sets. Ibalik ng maayos mga weights and dumbbells. Be aware of your surroundings wag maligalig. What I do is before I finish my current workout binabantayan ko na yung next na gagamitin ko na equipment tinitignan ko if may gumagamit para alam ko kung free ba ako na gamitin yun or kailangan ko magpaalam.
  3. If you are going to be bodybuilding, you will need wrist supports. Belt kapag intermediate to advance lifter na and wrist wraps. Shoes na hindi nakaincline or flat lang (vans or converse chucks will do). If you are bulking and you find it hard to reach calorie surplus you will need protein shakes. Yun lang para sa beginner.
I can give you more info if you need. Hindi naman ako trainer pero I did my research kahit papano and regular naman ako nagwoworkout.

@bard
  1. Study macros and micros and find what's best for your personal needs/goals;
  2. omg andami pero some that comes to mind are: a) Rerack your weights; b) Wipe the benches after use; c) politely ask people if they are finished with their set before using the machine;
  3. Gym shoes; healthy food appropriate for your diet goals

@bard Don't do so many things at once. Gym first, i-feel mo muna. Importante maging comfortable ka sa environment na pupuntahan mo para magpagod and magpaka-wasak ng katawan. Wag mag-expect na may pagbabago agad. After maging habit mo na ang pag-gym, SLOWLY start with the diet.

Always re-rack plates and dumbbells and clean stuff after mo gumamit with the gym provided pamunas.

@bard Magkaron kalang muna ng disiplina para pumunta sa gym raw araw hanggang sa mag karon kana ng clarity kung anong body goal ang nais mo. Hindi mo kailangan masyado maging strikto sa mga gym peripherals at supplements dahil bago kapalang sa larangan, Hayaan mong respond yung katawan mo. i:e wrist na bumibigay dahil sa bigat ng dumbbells pero kaya ito ng katawan mo = Wrist support.

For me kasi, Talagang hinanap ko yung desire body goal ko at mas nag strive ako doon. Nag research ako sa youtube na scientific based workout at kung ano ano pa para rin di sayang ang oras ko imbis na nag sscroll ako sa facebook.

@zaverax Hello, Its great so far! a person asked if I was a beginner and guided me on everything.. and the gym was mostly empty so wasn't that anxious/embarrassed anymore.