Should I cut of bulk?

blueskies88

Hey, I’m 15M 158lbs 5’7, started at march 2022, put on some muscle, but got stuck due to mostly lack of protein and switching too many programs (as people have said when I asked in another post), and was dirty bulking (eating whatever I want and just filling my calorie intake with anything(don’t mean that I don’t eat protein or anything healthy, but If I have much calories left I may just eat junk food to fill it out or anything that has much calories and protein even if it was unhealthy). now I don’t know if I should continue bulking or cut down some fat and start bulking in a more healthy way. Or start doing that without cutting.

@blueskies88 You're only 15 dude, you've still got a lot of growth and development to get through, don't worry about bulking, cutting etc until you're getting into adulthood (19-21ish)

If you work too hard and try to bulk up muscle whilst you're still developing, you're more likely to just fuck up your development than get a head start on being built like a god.

For now just try to eat healthy and stay active. Look after your general health, and when the time comes the gains you want will be all the better for it. Don't focus on lifting and muscle rn.

@blueskies88 Just maintain what feels like a healthy and comfortable weight for you, workout to keep fit but not to build muscle.

Honestly just don't even think about bulking, cutting etc yet.
Starting to worry about all that too early can fuck someone up more than just physically.

Joint problems, mental health issues, eating disorders, body dysmorphia, to name a few...

Just eat well and balanced, go outside regularly, take your vitamins, and stay hydrated! it'll do you wonders!

Maybe look into more strength training once you're 17, but even then don't try to bulk yet. You'll naturally start to fill out more once you're 19+, at which point your body will be able to handle the added stress from bulks and cuts.

Hope that helps dude

@blueskies88 The reality is you can’t do two things at once right. If you’re at a healthy weight range, just start clean bulking. The energy your muscles burn will take care of the rest.

@dawn16 Clean bulk doesn't mean anything different about calorie goals.

"Clean" is just in reference to the kinds of foods you'd be eating. A clean bulk is just bulking as usual whilst avoiding overly processed foods.

Think steak rather than burgers, tea instead of soda, etc

@blueskies88 You blacked out your lower belly on your pictures, and that's, imo, one of the tells of if you should cut or not. But considering you're 15, I don't think you've put on that much muscle mass that it would skew you off of the BMI chart yet. So I think you should do a bit of a cut.

But also because you're 15, I don't think you should cut too much. Do you think you still have chance to grow taller based on your parents height? If you think there is still a chance at height, you may be better off only doing a slight cut (4-8lbs, basically 1-2 months of cutting) and then focus on eating healthy, with plenty of protein, and only getting in a slight calorie surplus (you don't need to gain 1lb a week. A 200-300 calorie surplus is enough). And honestly, if you're lacking calories for the day, i'd aim to just eat at maintenance rather than stuff your face too much. Being strictly in maintenance won't let you progress as fast, but as long as you have some surplus, you'll be fine.

Basically, you don't want to become fat because then its always easier to get fat again (in that the fat cells are already there, when you lose weight, they just get smaller, they don't go away. So when you gain weight back, they just fill back up again)

@dinafrancis Yeah, I was thinking of a 1-2 month cut, not much more.

I’ve been to a physiotherapist couple of weeks ago and he pointed out that there is an indicator of more leg growth (getting taller) but we don’t know how much.

@blueskies88 Just look at the other men in your family for a guess.

If you're maybe gonna end up 5'8/5'9, then a little cut now isn't bad. If you have a chance to shoot up to 6'0, you wouldn't really want to be cutting, and maybe just maintaining there.