Should I eat 60g of protein or 259g?

@nowhereman To be honest I don't have a great answer to that question. I think a lot of the nitrogen balance and other studies were done with people at healthy body fat levels, but I'm not sure how best to generalize that.

@nowhereman This review of the literature on protein intake for hypertrophy from 2018 found:

to maximize anabolism one should consume protein at a target intake of 0.4 g/kg/meal across a minimum of four meals in order to reach a minimum of 1.6 g/kg/day. Using the upper daily intake of 2.2 g/kg/day reported in the literature spread out over the same four meals would necessitate a maximum of 0.55 g/kg/meal.

@nowhereman Yeah this is something that has always driven me nuts. No matter who you ask or what fitness "expert" you watch, they either say 1g per lb. or 1g per kg, gets really confusing and I've never seen any of them be consistent.

Doing 2 shakes a day(50g each with fruit and veggies mixed in) and still eating pretty good, there is no way on Earth I can consistently hit 225g of protein so it's hard for me to believe that's healthy or accurate for what I'd need.

@nowhereman A good rule of thumb, from my research, for building muscle, is to aim for roughly 1-1.2 grams protein per kg bodyweight per day. More won't hurt you but isn't necessarily any better unless you're doing a lot of cardio or a calorie deficit.

So at 185lbs you're around 83 kg meaning you should aim for 83-100 grams of protein daily (if I mathed right).

@inthestorm Not per kg, per lb. OP should have a minimum of 148g daily to a maximum of 222g. Ideally they’ll have 1g per lb to keep things simple and have enough to build muscle which would put them at 185g protein daily.