Should I increase weight per set or is it okay to have same weight per set?

heyynnie

Hello everyone,

I somehow started going to gym since June with a coach pero the coaching session already ended last July. Ang ginawa ko based sa program n'ya ay low weights palang ang proper form pero same lang lahat ng weight and sets until matapos ang coaching session.

Now, the thing is, I've been doing it since January nung home workout pa lang ako. This is my method:

Week 1-A - Weight is 5 kgs current number of reps = 8 3 sets

Week 1-B - Weight is 5 kgs current number of reps = 9 3 sets

Week 2-A - Weight is 5 kgs current number of reps = 10 3 sets

Week 2-B - Weight is 6 kgs current number of reps = 8 3 sets and still increasing

I did this until yesterday. Then kanina lang, nung kasama ko na yung friend ko na nag gy-gym, he told me na it is much better to increase daw per set ng weight. So it is something like this:

Week 1-A - Weight is 5 kgs current number of reps = 8, Weight is 6 kgs current number of reps = 8, Weight is 7 kgs current number of reps = 8 (total of 3 sets).

Then there are two approaches: increase the reps with same increase sa weight the next time I target the same muscle group or increase the weight kung sa tingin ko magaan na yung lowest weight na kaya ko.

So the question is, which would be the best approach in my training and what is the difference netong mga approach na ito sa body ko? I can feel naman na yung old approach ko is working and easier to track siya sa Excel file ko (yes po I use Excel to track my progress) kaso I am wondering if is there a benefit for my friend's approach.

Thank you po! :)

@heyynnie A proper program has this covered, so you might want to check one out.

But personally, if the listed rep range for that specific exercise for example is 8-12 reps, and i managed to hit 12 reps for all 3 sets, then i'll add more weight.

@tanglewood Thanks both! Looks like pwede na rin nga yung original approach ko. And based din sa ginawa ko na increasing weight, mas nahihirapan akong matapos yung set kasi pagod na sa first 2 sets. So I'll stick na lang din sa nagwork sa akin ng husay :D

@heyynnie Here’s the thing, every set you do is less stimulating than the set before. Dahil ito sa central fatigue — reduction in motor unit recruitment so the largest fibers sa local muscle area won’t activate the way they first did.

So what does this mean? Your first working set will ALWAYS be the most important and most stimulating set (first set, best set mentality). So you should go the heaviest sa set na yun kasi dun fresh yung CNS mo.

To put it to context, I do 5 total working sets for chest every week (2 press, 1 fly). My first working set will always be the heaviest within 5-8 rep range til failure. If I get 5 reps sa first set, I’ll drop down sa second set to reach 8 reps. If I get 8 reps naman sa first set, I’ll keep the same weight but I won’t get 8 reps again sa 2nd set — I’ll then increase the weight the following week to go back to 5 reps, then work my way up again.

So in summary, I wouldn’t recommend both approach you mentioned. Sa first approach mo kasi, you’re doing the same reps across all sets tapos you increase lang sa next week. Sa second approach naman, you’re fatiguing yourself na sa mga prior set before you get to your heaviest (this is okay if feeder sets yun before actual working set).

@iambenn Thank you po. It makes sense na after I increased my weight, mas lalo na akong di makatapos sa reps kasi pagod na sa simula pa lang or my working set. I think I heard your approach before sa youtube na pababa naman yung weight pero pataas yung reps. I'll see if I can insert this approach sa program ko :)

@heyynnie Training shouldn't be complicated lol.

The first approach that you were doing is 100% fine. What you are doing is a textbook progressive overload scheme, and you should keep doing it. I've been doing it for years now, and it's still giving me results.

The approach your friend does is just plain inefficient haha. You want your sets to be as close to failure on the first set pa lang, RPE 7-9 (check what is RPE here and here). Basically, strength and muscle gains is a result of pushing your muscles to near or all the way to mechanical failure.

If you've lifted hard enough on the first set, you should be struggling with the next two sets, with the last set barely finishing your reps. That's how you know you actually pushed your body: kapag pagod ka na first set pa lang.

If your friend manages to lift heavier with each subsequent set, it means he isn't lifting hard enough lol. Thus, his training approach is not effective. He basically has 2 warm-up sets, and only one working set where he actually challenges his muscles.

Bottom line: you're doing perfectly okay. Nothing wrong with your current approach. Increase weight once you hit your target rep limit. Don't follow your friend's advice; it's inefficient training lol.

@cariep Thank you for this. No wonder why yung next 2 sets ko ay di ko matapos ng husay kahit same weight lang for both sets. Nagtetest ako kung kaya ko pang magpush ng +2 or +3 sa original reps ko. Usually, I also try na short interval lang din yung in between sets para mas mapush pa. And kung di kaya for the third, I increase the interval by few seconds :) Thank you rin po for the helpful links.

Back