Shoulders limiting Kipping Pull-ups and T2B movement

bablakirchin22

Hey Crossfit,

Since learning the kipping movement, I've been finding my shoulders the major limiting factor in my performance and progression. Wondering if anyone has shared this, and if there are were any specific training recommendations (e.g. mobility, endurance, strength, form?) that helped here.

I'm a pivoted powerbuilder with a competent calisthenics 'engine' (i.e. capable of a high volumes of controlled strict pull-ups and T2B work) but when kipping is involve my shoulders start to tire, pump, and strain (albeit not painfully) well before my other muscle groups even start to feel anything. This discrepancy is extremely frustrating

Thanks x

@bablakirchin22 I needed to stop CrossFit because I got tendinitis in both shoulders. The only way to fix it is to work on your mobility. If you download GOWOD and stick to it religiously, you won’t have a problem. You need to stretch.

@bablakirchin22 1st step: 25-50 Kip/Beat Swings just hanging.

When your shoulders are more mobile, they can store and release more energy from the kip besides if your technique is efficient enough. obviously there are a zillion mobility guides and videos and videos on how to do a basic CF kipping pullup (besides Butterfly which I wouldn't bother until your shoulders are very mobile).

You could also try "Frog kipping" which was used way back before the Butterfly. Basically timing the pullup with tucking and extending your legs. Frog kip basically turns into BFK once you add a horizontal swing component and the butterfly kick.

this is a fairly terrible example but you should get the idea.

tuck up the legs, kick feet down as you pullup.

@bablakirchin22 From your brief description and without seeing it here is my two cents.
Your former background has produced strong but stiff Lats and triceps limiting your ability to reach extension in yhe “Superman” position of the kip. Try muscle smashing on a foam roller (dr. Kelly Starret) working the entire lats and tricep area. Some resistance band Lat/shoulder openers. As mentioned in another comment working just the kip swing going for maximum hollow/Superman while still staying in rhythm.

I’m guessing your front rack position for front squats is lacking as well???? These movements will open up your front rack as well

@bablakirchin22 My shoulders were mega beat up before I took a long break last year. I don’t know if this will be of use but for me I started incorporating lots of dead hangs into training and haven’t had any problems since. Idk if it’s correlation/causation but I know tendons do like static work, so I try to do them as part of a warm up (dead hangs > scap pull > gentle kip swings > aggressive kip swings). I also use them as accessory work. Worth a try?