Sticking with one trainer long term or taking breaks?

revhtree

I (35/F) have been working with a trainer for the past six months with great results. He has helped me work through a lower back injury and get back to confidently doing all of the big lifts again. I really enjoy the routine of training with him twice/week and the trust I have in him to keep me from re-injuring myself while still progressing.

However, I’m getting married in 9 weeks and am considering working with another trainer at the gym temporarily, because he offers combo nutrition/programming, and is a professional bodybuilder himself. I want to temporarily switch my focus from mobility and overall strength to more aesthetic goals.

I’m nervous to change things up, and don’t want to insult my current trainer. However, I’m also curious to see what doing a more rigorous program with an end date in mind would be like.

If anyone has done something similar or has thoughts from a trainer’s perspective I’d love to hear any advice.

@revhtree Trainer here: just be honest with your current trainer about your shifting aesthetic goals. Before you jump ship, simply ask your current trainer if he could help you achieve these "new goals". If he is honest he will tell you if he has limited knowledge/experience with the goals/fat loss. Dont underestimate your current trainer, he probably has the knowledge to help you, he just doesn't desire the "bodybuilder" physique. Plus he also is familiar with you/your injuries which is crucial in keeping you healthy. Just my 2 cents. Also dont feel too bad about finding new trainer, it's the way it goes.

Back