Strength training vs running for fat loss?

pero

(Combined with a calorie deficit of course). I’m after your thoughts. I started lifted weights about 7 years ago now, with a deficit I lost 70lbs and was in the best shape of my life. Gave up strength training and took up running full time about 2 years ago now. When I took up running I wasn’t as strict with my diet tbh.

In that time I’ve ran a marathon, couple of half marathons, probably burned more calories than I ever had lifting weights but today I’m going on for 20lbs heavier so when I looked at them scales this morning I knew I need to take actions.

So options are, continue running or go back to strength both in a deficit. I’ve had more joy with strength in the past and if I’m honest running has a weird thing of making me hungry, after a Sunday long run last week was 12 miles I could eat all day.

Which road would u go?

@pero I'm currently trying to lose some weight. I'm a regular ironman triathlete.
I train on average 13 hours a week, that's 3 hour of swimming, 4 of running and 6 of cycling.

In an ironman I train at my peak week for 22 hours.

I have NEVER lost weight while training without actively restricting my food

@pero I’m 67 years old - over 50 years as a distance runner/marathoner and now 5x weekly gym goer.

I think you should do what you can to work both strength training and cardiovascular activity into your usual routine. Older studies emphasized the value of cardiovascular fitness on long term health, but newer data suggest strength training, with concomitant building/maintain lean mass as more important. And it’s harder (not impossible) to build muscle as we are. Getting a good base in your 30s and 40s is really important.

And also important to remember that most weight loss/maintenance is a function of diet. While you might burn 600-1000 calories with an hour of running, you can easily it twice that sitting down to a meal.

Finally, think about what you enjoy, ways to mix things up, and keeping things fun. I can’t run much anymore due to some ankle issues, but I lift 5 days a week and do 30-60 mins of some cardio daily.

Best wishes for your continued progress whatever you decide

@absentia This. OP said he initially incorporated caloric deficit. That is the main stay of weight loss and exercise is so overstated if weight loss is the aim. Or at least not overeating which is too easy to do after any sort of exercise (running particularly). Any exercise is beneficial for health in the long term, as is a healthy weight. Do what exercise you can and enjoy doing.

@pero Deficit > strength training > Cardio for weight loss.

Do all 3. There is no point being in a deficit if all you’re going to do is lose weight and be weak. There is no point in being strong if you can’t walk up a flight of stairs without huffing. There is no point being able to run a mile if you keep getting injured due to weakness.

@pero I like to focus on strength training paired with less intense cardio. If I’m running a lot while trying to maintain a deficit, I find myself getting really, really hungry!!!

@pero It sounds like from your own experience that strength training is the way to go for your goals.

Personally. I've also looked the best and leanest when I focused only on strength training (main compound lifts + some accessory lifts) with zero cardio.

@pero I believe it, I think a lot of us are told you need to do cardio to lose weight but I think that's a big misconception.

Strength training also burns fat, and mixed with a good diet you will tend to look better and healthier.

Not to knock running/cardio for those who enjoy it, but that's just my personal experience.

@pero Strength training will develop your cardio better than cardio will develop your strength. I see no reason to go either/or between the two, but for me strength training always comes first.

Also remember that muscles burn fat but running is pretty indiscriminate as to what it burns for fuel.

@pero I used to run religiously...it wasn't until I shifted to focus on macros, a high protien diet and progressive strength training that I got in the best shape I've been in (I just turned 38). I do cardio...i.e. riding the bike, elliptical and throwing a run in. I strength train for 1.5 hrs 5 to 6 days a week and cardio in the afternoon if I want to. Mostly aim for 10k steps