The Elusive Pull-Up

twinmama

Impressive regardless of gender, the pull-up is often seen as a far fetched goal for most women. This does not need to be the case! With focused, consistent training you can conquer the pull-up!

First, what is a pull-up anyway? At its simplest form, a pull-up is when you are able, from a hanging position, to pull your chin over a bar. You are “pulling yourself up”. Technicalities come into play when we discuss the different grip types (overhand, underhand, neutral, wide vs close, etc ) A pull-up is traditionally defined using an overhand grip; a chin-up is defined as using an underhand grip.

As shown in this graphic multiple muscle groups are utilized during a pull-up. Like squats and deadlifts, pull-ups are compound movements) . A successful pull-up requires a strong back, arms, chest, core and grip. Weaknesses in any particular area will hinder success overall.

In changing the grip style one changes the required muscle activation. For example, an underhand grip recruits the biceps while an overhand grip primarily recruits the lats and even the traps. This is why you will often hear someone exclaim that chin ups are “easier” than pull-ups. Both are difficult, but that individual likely has relatively strong biceps and relatively weaker lats. Changing grip style is also beneficial for those with wrist and mobility issues. Neutral grip pull-ups for example, are more shoulder-friendly .

It is true that males typically have an easier time achieving pull-ups. This is because men typically have greater upper body strength and a greater muscle to bodyfat ratio; it is like a head start. To perform a pull-up, most women need to either gain muscle mass, reduce body fat, or a combination thereof.

Developing the strength to complete a pull-up, however, is not as straightforward as building strength in the traditional lifts (squat/deadlift/bench). No other movement recruits muscles in the same manner a pull-up does.

How does one train for a pull-up when currently lacking the strength to do a pull-up?

To be blunt, the assisted pull-up machine in the gym isn’t doing you any favors. The locked range of motion removes the majority of core involvement and the fixed positioning typically means that one cannot move through the proper range of motion. As a supplementary accessory this machine is fine, but if this is your only tool to acquire a pull-up, your odds of success are low.

Likewise, for primary focus, leave the bands alone. Use them instead for accessory work. Banded pull-ups, while often suggested, negatively change muscle activation. The part where they provide the greatest assistance (the dead hang) is where one truly needs to develop strength. They make pull-ups feel easier but they do not help you get strong.

Negatives are the optimal movement for developing pull-up strength. The term “negative” correlates to the movement being eccentric. During a negative, one is performing a pull-up in the opposite direction. Starting with one’s chin above the bar, back, core and arms fully engaged, one lowers themselves down to a full hang as slowly as possible. In doing so, all the muscles recruited for a standard pull-up are utilized. Negative pull-ups feel easier because one is fighting less against gravity. Eccentric movements are also noted as feeling easier than concentric due to muscle ability of generating greater force when elongated . Note that just because they may be “easier” does not mean they feel easy. Properly performed negatives are difficult; controlling one's body under strain is not easy. When first starting, it is common that individuals can’t perform a negative pull-up for longer than a second or so. Some individuals' grip strength prevents them from performing the full range of motion at all. Be patient, trust the process, and improvements will be made over time. For those who can’t yet perform a negative, starting with inverted bodyweight rows and other row variations is a fantastic way to build up this strength.

While negatives are “where it’s at” for developing pull-ups, there are accessory movements to assist with developing the strength required. Performing these in addition to negatives will lead to success. These movements include:
  • Rows (barbell, dumbbell, inverted, etc)
  • Farmers Carries
  • Dead Hangs
  • Flexed Arm Hangs
  • Deadlifts
  • Banded Pull-ups
  • Jumping Pull-ups
  • Scapular Pulls
  • Lat Pulldowns
Knowing what to do is only part of the plan, one needs to know how and when to perform these movements. Included below are a few optional programs. Note that they all have similar structures in that they are performed on average 3 days a week (consistency), include negatives and other movements listed previously and focus highly on increasing grip strength and time under tension (how long one can hang from the bar). The basic idea is to spend time 3 days a week performing negatives and other accessory movements, the slower you can perform a negative the closer you are to performing a pull-up. When one can perform a 30 second negative pull-up, one should have the strength to complete a standard pull-up.
What if you can already do a pull-up but you’re struggling to increase the number of reps you can perform? There are a few proven programs to follow. The Fighter Program is based on larger, fewer sets with weight added as appropriate. “Grease the Groove” is based on many, shorter sets spread out over time. Both approaches have been proved successful.
Everything discussed until this point has been about strict pull-ups. As many know, there are many pull-up varieties. Kipping pull-ups are common, as are butterfly pull-ups. They are seen in gymnastics, in crossfit and in other sports. The kip is utilized to increase momentum, thereby making pull-ups “easier” and “faster”. It is tempting for many to start kipping right away, often before they are strong enough to complete a strict pull-up. This is highly discouraged. If one is not strong enough to complete ~5 strict pull-ups, one is not strong enough to safely perform kipping pull-ups. Jumping from nothing to kipping is a recipe for injury.

That being said, once one is strong enough, kipping pull-ups are great skills to acquire.

Building the strength to perform a pull-up is not an easy feat, but with consistency and determination it is possible!

@twinmama This is an amazing resource, thank you so much. My current fitness goals are to be able to do a pullup & pushup, I've been training for just over a month now & will keep going until I get there!

@twinmama I do PPL 6x a week does anyone have advice incorporating this into my routine? Negatives on pull day? My goal is to be able to do a leg tuck pull up by next year

@twinmama Thank you. I've wanted to conquer pull-ups for years! I used to live in an apartment that wouldn't allow for a pull up bar due to weirdness with the doorways. Now I do, and I just bought one! Time to kick the ol' pandemic home gym set up up a notch.

It's nice to have something that makes you excited :) I'm sure in another week...they will just be making me sore!

@twinmama Just my two cents. Don’t be discouraged as well if you don’t think your body is the right type to be doing pull ups. I worked my butt off for years and years (negatives were absolutely my best friend), to get where I’m at. I’m 5’2” and weigh 165, so I’m a thicc girl, but I’ve been doing a program these last few months. Pull-ups three times a week and tested 21 strict pull-ups from the dead hang just a few days ago.
Sure body composition definitely plays a part, but don’t assume just because you aren’t athlete thin you can’t do it.
Great read!

@twinmama This was perfect thankyou, I’d already been starting with negatives because of something else I’d seen but this just reaffirms everything! Motivated to get back into it once I’m off the injury bench!

@twinmama I really needed this post, I've been training to get my first pull-up for two months now! I've been working a lot on the inverted rows, using gymnastic rings and keep experiencing slipping feet since trying to get more horizontal, so much so that I've been bending my knees to keep my feet on the floor and avoid the slipping. Does anyone have some sort of solution for this? My form is suffering from the slippage and it's such a shame because I love this exercice!

@mjh0607 Can you orient so your feet are against something heavy? Like a wall perhaps. Otherwise the first thing in my head are "grippy socks" like for yoga and such that minimize slipping.
Hopefully someone will have advice!

@twinmama I've been lacking in creativity for something to stop my feet, but I think I might try the grippy socks ahah! My running shoes weren't grippy enough to avoid slipping. Thinking about this I don't think socks would help as it's the heel that's contacting the ground aka I'm not flexible enough to stand straight (well, a la verticale ahah) with my soles on the ground. I might try to find something else that is heavy... Hopefully I won't have to resort to asking someone to stand still to assist me oh well ahah! Thanks a bunch for your tips!