The Road to 2/3/4/5

havert

It took me about 3 years to hit 1/2/3/4 plates for at least 5 reps for OHP/Bench/Squat/Deadlift. I'm pretty proud of my progress all things considered but at the same time a little dismayed considering I've read stories online on how a lot of people managed to hit that milestone more or less around a year or so.

That said, I was wondering if any of you have successfully hit the 2/3/4/5 plate milestone (or just any of those lifts), how long did it take you and how did you get there? I'm especially curious about fellow Filipinos that have hit that milestone since I can count on just one hand people I've seen do those lifts IRL.

My personal goal right now is to hit all 4 for at least 1 rep by the end of 2022 (within 2 years). Is that too unrealistic?

Although I've gotten weaker since I've only been able to go back to the gym recently and I've lost a lot of weight since the start of lockdown (Currently at ~70kg at ~5'9"), I managed to spring back to about 2-3 reps for all 4 lifts.

Would love to hear your advice, tips, routines or even stories on your lifting journey. Thanks!

@havert Id be super happy to hit 4 plates for the squat.. thatd be around 2.75 of my bodyweight. I rarely do bench.

Goodluck with your goal!! Post mo dito pag naachieve 👌

@havert Things really vary from person to person. The more you look deeper into things the more you will realize how so many things are out of our control. The biggest determinant of strength even between two people who train the exact same way for the same length of time is genetics. If you're lucky enough to be born to parents who encourage you to get into almost any sport at a young age then that's another big bonus.

At the top end of any sport, it is almost always these things that separate those who hit the podium vs those who don't. All elite level athletes train hard and smart. They're all freaks, all built differently.

While it's great to look up to the elites in any sport, we have to realize that hard work is not gonna bridge the gap between genetics and exposure when the elites also do the hard work.

This difference applies to people who are also not elite but just slightly more gifted. I know a couple of Filipino sea games atheles who have spent about half the time i have lifting and they're already past me numbers wise. I know some yoga instructors and cycling instructors that can lift close to advanced numbers without even trying so much.

That's said. Your goals are not unrealistic and you can surely make it given time. What will not be as helpful imo is comparing your progress with other people. Powerlifting is supposed to be fun and I think trying to chase numbers is fun. But trying to compare your progress with other people might not make it as fun as it could be.

I started lifting late 2016 and took things seriously mid to late 2017 and it personally took me a long time to reach my current numbers. When i look at people who compete in the local scene i am just as often inspired as i am dissapointed in my progress. What helps me still push is remembering that i literally started with not being able to move might right shoulder and my left knee always dislocating due to a tendon condition. It's already a miracle for me that i can bench or ohp without pain at all.

Tip from me would be to continue to study the why and hows of programming. Learning how to program for yourself might not produce rhe best progress in the short term but it'll help you know what works well for you. Getting a coach that is credible and can journey with you will also help. Mej mahal lang mga legit but worth it even for short spurts.

Find a community of like minded people to help you with growth and accountability.

Back