These bad dips need to stop

josephcamline

WZA highlighted kip dips. I don't mind kipping but allows weak athletes to dip with terrible shoulder movement, i.e. this will certainly f up your shoulders. Here is one example:

Even if she wouldn't kip, here shoulder movement is horrible. It's painful to watch.

And besides, the kipping plus this terrible shoulder positions is exactly why people laugh about CrossFit. And I must say: They are right, doing so. It's a f ing joke of a dip.

@josephcamline Eh the kip actually doesn’t bother me. Her form isn’t overly compromised. I think the parallets are too far apart, and that’s what’s really bad for shoulders

@josephcamline It’s because the handles are far as fuck apart. I use paralletes and when we accidentally set them too wide, it becomes very tempting for the legs to sprawl to compensate for weight distribution

@josephcamline Handles too wide. Agree the kipping makes athletes over confident in their ability to go that deep. She has great mobility but getting there and kipping out of it is the problem here. Bring the bars in and see if they can get to that depth under control

Tough to remember that crossfits a sport not a strength and conditioning program. Is it healthy for football players to take thousands of units of rotation acceleration to their head and neck 15x per game, 17+games per year? No but it is part of the sport. Getting coaches away from allowing athletes in their boxes to Kip as a form of scaling dips, handstand push ups, and pull-ups is fucking stupid. It’s an advanced movement to Kip, not a scale and you have to earn it

@josephcamline The parallettes are clearly too far apart here ... but doing dips for time is a terrible fitness test because the risk of injury is so high. Does nobody remember everyone tearing their pecs in the 2017 Regionals after the Ring Dip event?

I am not so much concerned about how it looks versus what it tests ... there's nothing wrong with dips for quality in training, but they are a terrible idea when done for time.

@josephcamline As others have already pointed out, the real issue here is the excessive width of the bars. Doing dips in this fashion is a recipe for shoulder injuries; I’m wincing just looking at it.

@10trouble13 they should program Murph with parallel dips instead of push-ups so that all athletes can decide on their own if they a) want their shoulders & chest to survive it, b) withdraw from competition afterward, or c) f up their shoulder in the long run because they believe that sh*t form dips would a great idea to train.

Back