Tips for increasing time in the sauna?

asxdvcfgt

in case you weren't aware, spending 20 minutes or more in the sauna several times a week has immense health benefits including fitness recovery and improved cardiovascular health. This paper by Dr. Rhonda Patrick goes into it at length if you are curious. Suffice to say that I am convinced.

However, I find it challenging to stay in the sauna longer than 15 minutes. there's a combination of boredom and and discomfort that makes every minute after 15 seriously difficult. I am trying to work my way up to 25 or 30 minutes.

I try not to use my phone in there for too long because I don't want to damage it. Sometimes I do stretching in there but that makes me feel light-headed even faster. Did you find that you became more comfortable in the sauna over time as you become heat adapted? Also what are your strategies for staying entertained? #ADHDLife

@mtouch Dr. Rhonda Patrick, who wrote that PDF, did a podcast episode about this topic and she said that yes it is the heat that activates this effect so a steam room would have the same effect as long as you are reaching the same temperature for as much time.

@asxdvcfgt I had to slowly increase my time, this helped a lot. Maybe try adding a couple minutes every week. ALSO meditating was a big one. After some practice, you can totally get in the zone and the time flies by. It’ll be the best part of your day.

@asxdvcfgt This isn’t advice per se but I drink a fukkk ton of water and I set goals for x amount of time and stick to it. I do normally 20min sometimes even longer. I find talking to people or listening to music or stretching helps pass time and remember hydrate!!

@asxdvcfgt No advice, but a PSA for those that may be concerned: the heat may break/burst capillaries (blood vessels) on your face.

I wish I could use a sauna. It feels so good, but, man, does my face suffer.

@asxdvcfgt This was a funny read! I'm from Finland where almost every flat has a sauna and I'd say people typically go to sauna at least once a week. Going to sauna is often a social gathering so you could try to bring a friend with you and chat the time away. I also like to go by myself and just think about things and relax, but if you're visiting a public sauna with many people I get how it might not be as therapeutic as you can't control tossing water and might not have a nice relaxing setting.

My friends lived in Austria for a while and I heard the saunas there were agony because water was added militaristically every X seconds making it too hot. It's supposed to be enjoyable, not masochistic. I don't know if it's like that for you but here the temperature in sauna is usually 60-100 c (140-212 f) and you're not supposed to be in discomfort but to enjoy the steam. The air should be very moist.

If I start to feel too hot I take a small break, go outside or to the "dressing room" area, take a cool shower and get back in. I usually do this ~2 times per sauna session. It's also common to have a sauna beer but if you're going at a gym or something it might be weird. Hopefully I wasn't being too obvious :D

@lambkisses The saunas here (US) are mostly dry, but around the same temperature range. Loved hearing your experience! I love countries where saunasand bathing are part of the culture. When I visited Japan we went to so many onsen. I think the social aspect would help but I prefer to workout alone.. maybe I can find someone who also wants to work out alone but wants to kick it in the sauna with me.

@asxdvcfgt As someone born in northern Sweden I bathe for 1 hour several times a month during the winter, typically I bathe with friends or family which naturally makes it more enjoyable otherwise I just meditate or read a book

@asxdvcfgt Bluetooth sport headphones strong enough to receive a signal from your phone even if you leave it outside the sauna? If it works you could listen to music or podcasts or something.

@goddog Just be careful because some bluetooth headphones (maybe all, I'm not sure) don't do well in saunas either. They can overheat like phones do. I know my Jaybirds were always really really hot when I'd leave the sauna and it made me nervous.